1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saturday's NHL on NBC fiasco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 21, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks, Huntsie.

I've been trying to make that point all along but it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Until you've actually PLAYED the damn game--whether you're 12 or 32--you absolutely cannot appreciate the skill involved.

Try something as simple as a "saucer pass" next time you're playing. You could probably practice that 100 times and never get it.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A few things:

I'd say the fact that the United States is a warm-weather country kills hockey's potential outside of a few regions.

Like tennis, it doesn't translate well to TV. And there's more on TV to compete with it.

Speaking as a goalie, the bigger bodies on small ice surfaces have choked the excitement out of the game, as has parity. I grew up on the awesome Montreal-Islanders-Oilers dynasties. Now, a Cup champ is more likely to miss the playoffs the next year than repeat.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Years back I was in the OC visiting my aunt and uncle. They're Canadians who are big hockey fans and have Ducks season tickets. He took me to a game against Calgary and told me the fans around him weren't too up on the nuances of the game. Like other Canucks here have mentioned, he told me since I'd grown up with the game I know how to follow it but those with little exposure to the game couldn't find the puck half the time.

At one point the Ducks had a power play and the guy next to me kept yelling at Teemu Sellane, who had the puck in the right-wing circle, to shoot. I could see that he was waiting for Paul Kariya to get open at the left post and told the guy this. He scoffed and said Sellane would score from there. No way, I said, just watch, and a split second later the puck went from Selanne's stick to Kariya's and in the back of the net. I told the guy to watch what was happening away from the puck. Wonder if he ever got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted