1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saturday Night Live (Oct. 4)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Oct 4, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Political sketches are much funnier when the actors involved aren't known partisans.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Well, I have to say that was one of the funniest openings, and one of the funniest things I've seen out of SNL in a long time. They just nailed both Biden and Palin.

"I come from the absolute worst place on Earth ... Scranton, Pennsylvania."
    I wouldn't call it the worst place on Earth. I do know that the only thing to do there when I visited was drink heavily.

3. Any other place I can catch this?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the clap?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm sure it will be on hulu.com soon.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The debate killed. And I laughed my ass off at the Lawrence Welk bit. THAT'S the kind of comedy they should be doing. And Sandberg's Wahlberg bit was good. If it had been 15 seconds longer, it wouldn't have been. But he hammered the one-joke bit and got out. Plus, I always enjoy seeing farm animals on network TV.

The rest of it didn't raise as much as a chuckle. Although I love Katy Perry and almost always like what Casey Wilson does, that particular thing left me absolutely cold.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The debate was classic. Sarah Palin is easy material, and Tina Fey can make it laugh-out-loud funny every time.

I don't have the quote, but her fumbling through the sentence and just abruptly ending it had me rolling. Everything that made my eyebrows raise in Thursday's debate--from both sides--were knocked the fuck out by SNL.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but didn't you start drinking at, like, noon?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, yeah. Hence the farm animals reference.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

atta kid.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I though it was quite funny. The skits were well-timed, not too many that dragged on ... that's key. You really can't go wrong when you err on the side of short. If it fails, you move on. If you kill, you leave 'em wanting more ... and you can always provide it in future episodes.

The Katy Perry skit was tremendous ... especially the blurb: "Rolling Stone says ... 'No.' "

Classic.

The Wahlberg thing was a solid skit, as was the voting song within Weekend Update. Noticed a lot of song-based comedy on this episode -- always a good thing.

This was step in the right direction.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Watch Havoc some day....

Anyway, I agree. Her opening monologue was as good as I have seen in a while.

And, she can sing, it appears.

Draft saved Draft deleted