1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satellite Radio question/help #3,103,848

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've been an XM loyalist for three years now, but I'll say that in the three weeks I had a Sirius in a rental car this past fall, I was pretty impressed with the music channels' mixes. To be specifc, Lithium > Lucy for 90's alt, Sirius Chill > XM Chill and The Coffeehouse > Starbucks XM Cafe for AAA (though I'd take the late Starbucks Hear Music over both)

2. I choose XM because of baseball, but they both have their selling points. I like the XM music chanels just fine, but I'm far from a music buff, so I'll defer to those more in the music know for better opinion. As far as the merger, what I heard was that there will be a sort of ala carte programming choices for different fees, which is wonderful, but that is at least a year in the making before they offer it. And last I heard, you won't have to buy any new equiptment, but they could have just been blowing smoke up our asses so that you didn't cancel in the meantime. As far as if you'll like the service or not, I got it primarily for baseball games and planned on cancelling during the offseason, but haven't yet because I have grown just accustomed enough to the specialized programming. There is no doubt it's better than regular radio, but the monthly fee will make or break your decision.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't see how the merger can go through, but I love the XM in my wife's car. It is precious beyond belief on long trips.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Like almost everyone else, XM >> Sirius, IMO.

The fee is only $13 a month and $7 for any other radios you put onto your plan.
    13 a month should not be the deal breaker.

I look forward to the day when the two companies merge, because while I love that XM has the baseball, I would like to have the NFL and NASCAR that Sirius has.

I also used to like Howard Stern, but after having XM and listening to O and A for the past couple of years --- definitely a O & A fan.
    Rhody: Linger Longer!

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

She knows I wanted satellite because of O and A. The Stilletto 2 is friggin badass and it looks cool. She spent like 3 hondo on it. Does XM make a portable receiver anywhere as good? I sasw some portables online for XM, but doesn anyone have expereience with them?

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I don't have one, but I always thought the Pioneer Inno was a good portable choice.

http://xmradio.com/shop/index.xmc

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

That's what I've got. It kicks all kinds of ass.

8. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

XM= hockey = me happy on those constant road trips

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've had experience with both and I prefer XM. I spend a lot of time in the car so it's well worth the money. I also invested in a box for the office.

In my experience XM's equipment is better and easier to set up than the Sirius hardware. I will agree that Sirius seems to have the better music choices, though the only Sirius channel I wish I had in my car was Margaritaville Radio.

A friend who is familiar with the looming merger has told me that regardless of what happens in terms of programming people will not need to replace their hardware once the two companies merge, which will probably happen in the next few months.

He didn't know anything about a la carte packages or tiered pricing but I would expect we'll see some of that.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've been all over the Led Zeppelin channel on XM. I also like the baseball channels, but I miss NASCAR and would like to get the NFL package. NFL is about over and I can get NASCAR on any country music station, so I'm going to wait for the merger or next football season before I break down and buy a Sirius.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Any tips on how to get a good signal on the box? I got the box as a gift from a friend when my wife got me the XM two Christmases ago. We couldn't seem to get a signal on the box at home and the only success we had was at a friend's house.

I got the box to listen to baseball games when I'm home during the season but it's just collecting dust in the basement. Would love to get some actual usage out of it.

(There's some fun with quote function to be had here by the pervs, dooley has no idea why he just logged on to SJ :D :D :D)

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have XM by default since it was built into my truck. I've heard Sirus and it really seems like a toss up. XM gives you MLB and Sirus gives you the NFL. I prefer baseball because you have games 7 days a week in season. NFL.

reception on the portables is still a big limiting factor for me. The car is still the best place to listen with flawless reception.

Draft saved Draft deleted