1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satellite Radio question/help #3,103,848

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend bought me the Sirius Stilletto 2 and a car adapter for Xmas. It's pretty sweet. I mentioned I wanted satellite radio so I could lsiten to more talk stations and she remembered so boom - Xmas present.
    Only problem -I prefer XM because of Opie & Anthony over Howard Stern.
    With the merger going on, I've done some research, but I feel like I might be better off returning everything and not paying for monthly service.
    Is it worth it to get the satellite radio? Has anyone heard anything more concrete about the merger (I've heard a la carte packages)? Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes get satellite radio. yes get XM.

Not sure about how long this damn merger will take though, or if you're better off waiting for the "merged" equipment, so to speak.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got XM and love it. I haven't heard anything lately about the merger. The FCC might be waiting for the media consolidation ruling to blow over before they work on anything else that high profile.

I have Sirius music on the TV satellite (Dish) and they seem to have a lot of good choices there. You might consider keeping that, especially if your girlfriend might be offended by you taking back her present.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've had both; switched from XM to Sirius in part because I felt the music mixes on the Sirius stations are much better than what XM offers.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I've had the satellite radio for a couple of weeks, and my feeling about it mirrors what the mustardwife told her best friend about our DVR after about a week:

How great is it? Let's just say I can slice my own fucking bread.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I have XM and love it. The only thing I wish I had off Sirius is Stern. Hopefully I'll be getting it soon enough with the proposed merger.

7. accguy

accguy Member

I love my xm. Had it for 2 1/2 years and can't complain.

And if you want xm, be up front w/ the girl and explain that you truly appreciate the effort, but you want xm for the following reasons. If she freaks, you've got bigger issues to deal with than no opie and anthony.

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

if you want XM, make the switch. The merger, who knows how long it'll take to go through and then produce post-merger equipment that can handle both Sirius and XM signals.

I'd recommend getting the Sportscaster (19) or XpressEZ ($39). Both are the cheapest out there, but they also get the job done. If you get them at a big box retailer you should be able to get the kit and the Sureconnect (make sure the box is red and it says Sureconnect included). This would enable you to hookup the car kit to the antenna.

I set that up in my car and its a relative seamless and wireless look. That installation would be cheap in terms of the equipment and hassle free to install and take out if the merger and equipment happens in the near future.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

My usual response when people ask me if I like satellite radio is to say it's greatest thing since oxygen.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I am dropping it in my house because I now have most of the channels through DirecTV.
    In my car? I'll always keep it. Love the MLB games too much.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Funny, my wife got me an XM Xpress EZ and I wasn't sure whether to keep it or not (only because I don't do that much driving - a little here and there, which might make it worth it - plus not sure paying the fee was in our budget, but she said I was worth it :)).

Anyway, the kit I got says it comes with everything you need for your car. Plus, there is some rebate going on now, so you should be able to get $$ back. And my wife told me that for new customers you get 3 months free; so I basically can pay for 9 months and see if I like it or not then decide to renew.

So I'm kind of talking myself into this, unless someone wants to talk me out of it. :)

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Precisely. I love, love, love listening to KC home games... a strong infusion of nostalgia. Plus, with the multitude of channels, there is always something that will catch your ear.

Draft saved Draft deleted