1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satellite music vs. downloaded music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bruhman, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I'm an avid music lover but not much of a music buyer (go figure).

I grew up listening to music on the radio, and as a teenager spent several years DJing at clubs in Brooklyn and Manhattan. But I doubt if I've purchased 10 CDs in the past 10 years.

I rely on local radio in the car, and cable's MusicChoice or AOL Radio at home. I absolutely love those satellite stations, with genres for whatever mood I'm in. I can listen for hours on end and I'm considering purchasing an XM or Sirius system for the car. I had one in a rental recently and enjoyed it immensely.

But I'd also love to hear my alltime favorite songs whenever I wish, instead of being grateful whenever the satellite DJ happens to play one. I could make my own "mix tapes," compiling my downloaded faves on a CD or Ipod.

Obviously I'd have total control in picking and choosing selections to download. But that could be a staggering number of songs - I love a wide range of music - and I imagine it'd be extremely costly. On the other hand, I always enjoy the offerings on satellite, even if I never or only rarely catch some of my favorites.

What's a music lover to do in 2007? I'd appreciate any help/advice/assistance in making a decision. Thank you.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It depends. You trying to be legal, or do you not care?

3. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Uh.... legal?

(But how would it work the other way, just for argument's sake).

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Bruhman,

Some of the new hand-held XM and Sirius products also allow you to save music, so you could have a playlist plus the live stuff. At least, that's the understanding I have. I could be wrong.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

By using Limewire or Morpheus, for example.

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I have both ... iPod and XM radio. And I listen to both regularly. iPod in the gym or on a run with my dogs. XM in the car, or falling asleep at night, because I like to listen to play by play or talk -- knocks me out almost as well as NyQuil.

You might hold off on the satellite radio purchase because XM and Sirius are trying to merge. Still hasn't been approved yet. But they hope to have it done by early 2008. I wouldn't want to give up the iPod because for workouts, I need to have music I want to listen to. But I love the satellite radio. Every time I put on XM's Deep Tracks, I hear something I like that I never knew existed before. Beats the hell out of the world according to Clear Channel.

7. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

That's true ... you can load your own tracks and record content from broadcasts, but it's nowhere near the storage capacity of an iPod, so if you have a lot of music you want to carry around, it fills up really quickly.

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

That's what I'm talking about. I hear so much good music on satellite that I've never heard before (and sometimes never hear again). I wouldn't even know it exists to download it in the first place.

I thoght illegal downloading had been done away with. No?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nope. Limewire and Morpheus still are there in full force.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

11. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

So, er, I could chose to download whatever I like for, er, free?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you were of such a mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted