1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SATC: The Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, May 6, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The NY Times review was not kind. http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/05/30/movies/30sex.html

I walked by a theater in Manhattan at about 4 pm on Friday which was showing the movie on 2 or 3 screens. The line for the movie was 95 percent women. It was like the reverse of a kung fu movie.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'll say this much - Samantha was ultimately the only person in the movie who was true to herself, from start to finish. Carrie and Miranda just looked like they had aged and were playing dress-up. Jennifer Hudson's character was great, especially how she was introduced.

Fun film. I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What are the major spoilers?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I went to see Ironman on Saturday afternoon and there were several carloads of women pulling up to go see SATC.

5. Mizzougrad96

I thought it would do well at the Box Office, but $55.7 million is fucking insane.

Is it any good? Does anyone die?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Do these women ever get the clap?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't understand about this movie ... the appeal to teen girls and young women.

I live in the South, yet scads of 20-ish women were lined up to see this movie. How do they relate to 40-something New Yorkers who'd rather die than leave Manhattan? Do they just want to see the clothes?

One of our city high schools had graduation on Friday night. There were girls in their caps and gowns lined up for the late showing. These girls were 14 when the show quit airing on HBO.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

In front of us at the theatre were a mom and two teenaged girls. They sat down and I thought, wait, is this really a film geared toward and appropriate for teen-mom bonding? It's certainly not Gilmore Girls, or Gossip Girl for that matter.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, start your production of R-rated chick flicks.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think it's safe to call this a one-time exception.

Name the only two R-rated movies to make more in an opening weekend.

I never would have guessed either in a million years.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

I read this morning that the studio took one look at the weekend box office and started talking sequel.

Unless they spin off the Jennifer Hudson character, where's the sequel? The movie tried to deliver a happy ending (no pun intended) for all four women.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mazel tov to you and your Magic 8 Ball, Flash! Close enough for a winner ...

Draft saved Draft deleted