1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SAT goes back to 1,600 scale, makes other major changes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

These changes will require The NCAA to revise D1 and D 2 eligibility requirements which were scheduled to become more stringent in 2016.

Would be for the better as the minimum SAT component stuck me as highly unfair.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You don't worry about the parents. They'll never get it. You focus on the kids. And you try to counteract the sheer influence of money. I'm telling you, there are a lot of kids scoring 1,300 or higher on their SATs who are not all that bright either. But their parents have money.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Current NCAA D 1 Eligibility requirement with 2.0 GPA
    is a 1020 combined on SAT.

Have to think that there still is a lot of gaming of system going on
    for kids to gain eligibility.

4. printit

printit Member

Agree completely. Argued this years ago. Best thing government and/or private benefactors could do for poor/rural areas is set up test prep centers. Do it after school, the weed out process between those who care and those who don't would be seen in who stayed and who didn't. (provide transportation).
    Actually had a college I worked at convinced to set up something similar for the LSAT (a test I did well on and, I'm assuming, the test you "gamed"). I left that job so no LSAT class.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is that 1020 out of the 2400 total score or the 1600 math/verbal score?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is, Boom. Mostly, they game it by being declared to have a learning ability and get extra accomodations on the test and so forth.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was. And I didn't even take a test prep course. I think that those are mostly for people who want to go from, say, a 140 into the high 150s or low 160s. I tried out to teach for Kaplan, and their rigid methods would have been quite inefficient for me.

I just bought the right books and learned the right strategies from reading message boards and so forth. But the point is that I worked at it - both hard and smart.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was even an issue when I was in high school. I remember someone was talking about having the test administered for free once a year to all high school juniors and seniors and if people want to take it additional times, they have to pay.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Accommodations like someone else to take it for them?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Meet Derrick Rose.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That guy has better knees, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The craziest part about the ACT was the science reasoning. It had nothing to do with science and everything to do with digesting big words and simple concepts. If you were well-read, it was easy -- even if you were a dunce in every science class you took.

Draft saved Draft deleted