1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SAS fails to return to work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 17, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yesterday, we told you how Phawker reported that Stephen A. Smith was being stripped of his Philadelphia Inquirer column. Well, the Inquirer confirmed it yesterday in a story that's as passive-aggressively hostile as the snippiest inner office memo.

The paper reports not that Stephen A. is losing his column, but that he's "due to return to reporting," which is kind of an insult in itself. The story goes on to:

• Slap Smith by saying, "Smith's column, which he began writing in 2003, last appeared on Friday, when he asserted that the Phillies were in better shape than the Mets."

• Point out that Smith isn't returning calls to his own paper.

• Imply that Smith has been slacking because of his "obligations" to other outlets, mentioning, "Earlier this year, he was on the TV soap opera General Hospital and in the Chris Rock movie I Think I Love My Wife."

They actually link from the online version of the story to the great Slate piece about how television is ruining the sports column. That's a bitch slap, friends. But surely, after all this, Stephen A. will love to come back from vacation to write features on Temple women's basketball, absolutely.

Oh, sorry, we almost forgot: EVERYTHING HE SAYS IS IMPORTANT.

Seriously, though: We're pretty curious what Smith does when he comes back. Will he quit? Sue? Pelt the editor with Cheesy Doodles?

http://deadspin.com/sports/cheesy-doodles/philly-paper-cant-get-rid-of-stephen-a-fast-enough-292627.php

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Who really cares. The guys a blowhard who sucks at everything he does. I take that back he's really good at being loud and obnoxious!

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But...But...But... HE REVOLUTIONIZED SPORTS COLUMNS

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

And he stole my guest acting spot on my favorite soap. That piece o crap!

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just got named to do an hour nationally on ESPN Radio, starting Thursday (3-4 p.m.). Yowza.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's an hour listeners/victims will never get back.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i will be listening to music for that hour.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

He did a guest stint on radio, and I couldn't listen to it for more than two minutes. Just awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted