1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sartorially puckish: 06-07 NHL unis thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Nov 15, 2006.

1. zufer

zufer Active Member

I'd hit it </boots>

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I don't know that there's much useful debate that can occur around the issue of singular team nicknames. Either you like them or you don't...or perhaps you don't care. It's like debating the appeal of cilantro or anything else that's a subjective matter of personal taste. To me, a singular team nickname screams "Major Indoor Soccer League." I don't want to piss on the parade of anyone who loves their Utah Jazz or New England Revolution. Just not my scene, that's all.

As far as which is worse, Wild or Ducks...that's a choice I hope I never have to make.

Regarding Vancouver...a maple leaf logo would be the obvious choice for a team called "Canucks," but as there's a fairly well-established hockey team that already uses a maple leaf, the Canucks must go beyond the obvious. A moose? A mountie? A moose in a mountie hat? Perhaps something specific to Vancouver, like a stoned alt-rock barista dude...drinking coffee (jersey for day games) or beer (jersey for night games).

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

This was the Vancouver Canucks logo when the team was a Western Hockey League (minor pro) franchise in the 1960s:

[​IMG]

4. writing irish

More Canadian than an orca...more regionally representative of Western Canada than a maple leaf. Bring back the lumberjack:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/logos.cgi?logo_file=whl/vancan.gif

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Though I hate the Coyotes jersey, does anyone else think they are better then the original?

[​IMG]

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

No way. Bring back the rink and stick logo full time. From what I understand, a growing number of Canucks fans want it that way.

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/283.gif

Johnny Canuck (the lumberjack) could be the logo for a new third jersey.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

... then Boots might become a hockey fan? :D

8. writing irish

He's a lumberjack. He's ok. Yeah, that's probably more like third jersey material, considering that the rink-and-stick logo has NHL rather than minor league tradition behind it. That last link just went to the Chris Creamer front page, which had an article about the Diamondbacks. Maybe you were wanting to link to this article about the first Canuck logo...

http://www.sportslogos.net/article.php?n=69

Speaking of our neighbors north of the border...this is off-topic...I read on another thread one poster's wish for the NHL to return to Quebec City and to have an expansion team in the Maritimes.

What NHL team is the most popular in the Maritimes? This question presumes that Francophones in the region are generally Habs fans. But what about the Anglophone majority? I'd guess Leafs fans, but maybe there are some Bruins fans as well? Or is that ludicrous to think of Canadians rooting for the B's? Or maybe they're Montreal fans, with geographic proximity trumping any linguistic/cultural issues? Sorry to be so clueless about Maritime Provinces culture, but I'm a native Alabaman who's never been north of Portsmouth, NH...and whose knowledge of the Maritimes is limited to the fact that I read "The Shipping News"...and there's a song about Newfoundland on a Stompin' Jack CD that I have.

Also, if there ever were to be an NHL team in the Maritimes, what would be the logical city for the team to call home?

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think most Maritimers root for the Habs. Sidney Crosby grew up a Montreal fan.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd bet there's plenty of Bruins fans down there too.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Halifax. No question.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lot of Boston (Bruins, Red Sox) fans in the Maritimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted