1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sartorially puckish: 06-07 NHL unis thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fair enough ... just not a NASCAR fan. To the best of my knowledge, the Cup has yet to sit around a racetrack. :p

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm working on getting you the visual. Might have to wait until tomorrow, 'cause it's time to go home.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I have a Devils "Christmas" jersey keychain. Current uniforms are simple and awesome. You're also correct about the Rockies' uni. I have a blue one and the white one. It's fun to see people's reaction when wearing the Rockies' jersey and they either like it or have no clue who it is.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Is it just me or did you get angrier the further you went in your long fucking post?

Anyways, one of the reasons the Canucks jersey is hated so much is because it totally sells out to the company that bought the team that changed the look: Orca Bay. It has nothing to do with the team nickname or heritage. What does a fucking killer whale have to do with being a Canuck or Canadian? A more appropriate logo would be a six-pack. At least the hockey skate and hockey stick logos made sense. It would be like if Walmart somehow bought the Yankees from Steinbrenner and changed their logo to a shopping cart.
    As an Oilers fan, I do have to say I at least somewhat like the Flames unis. They are a drastic upgrade over their past incarnations, including the flaming potatoe.
    And the Oilers colours are Copper and Blue. No gold in sight, my friend.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Yeah, what Beef said, the post did seem to get angrier the further along it went.

The name of the Minnesota Wild -- (which is NOT a stupid name for a team by the way, at least they weren't named after a fictional movie team like the Mighty Ducks were, nice to see the "Mighty" was dropped. No offense, Ducks fans, I have nothing against the team.)

When Minnesota was awarded the franchise, a contest was held to choose names. Wild won -- which, if you live in the wilds of Minnesota like at least one of us here does, it's pretty cool as it pays homage to the outdoors-i-ness of the state. (There's lots more to MN than the Twin Cities.) The head on the jerseys is not even close to a bear, more of a cat-like head. Rumor has it the "star" eye is a nod towards the late North Stars.

Now the North Stars, they had some cool unis!

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There was more profanity as I went along...I do hate the Blues and the Ducks. And I wasn't really all that worked up about the Wild's name, I was just amusing myself by pretending to be worked up. That said, the name does leave me cold. The land of Minnesota is indeed beautiful...but singular team names just don't get it, in my book. Sorry Wild, Lightning, Magic, Major League Soccer, et al.

Again, I have no effing idea what the critter is on Minnesota jerseys. This website, which looks real far from authoritative, thinks it's a bear:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/minnesota/minwild.html

Sports logo geek Chris Creamer thinks it's a bear.

http://www.chriscreamer.com/team.php?t=15

Maybe it's a Bearcat.

Beef, the Orca Bay story is quite literally news to me. Thanks for filling me in. I thought that the orca had something to do with the Canadian Pacific Coast...had no idea it was a shitass excercize in self-promoting by the ownership. Damn, that'd be like Jerry Jones putting a self-portrait of an inflamed asshole on the Cowboys' helmets instead of the blue star...

And OK, copper rather than gold for the Oilers...

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I received a blue Nords jersey with my name and 00 on the back for Christmas when I was in 8th grade. I should track that down; it was a sweet jersey.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

As long as the Canucks don't use these anymore, all is well.

And the whale could be gone from the Canucks' sweaters now that the team has been sold.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Original Six jerseys are still the best.

Simple, classy, understated.

In terms of post '67 expansion teams, the Flyers and the Blues are pretty cool.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Irish, I still don't get your beef with the nickname "Wild." That's a damn good team name...at least it's better than Timberwolves. :D

Would you rather the team be called the Minnesota Wilderness, which shortens to Wild?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why would anyone complain about a team called the "Wild" when you have "Ducks"?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Funny, I thought the Minnesota Wild's logo looked like a bear too.

Draft saved Draft deleted