1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sarkozy: French press should taken a lesson from Judith Miller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, May 13, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

A feud over press freedom boils over in France

PARIS: First, President Nicolas Sarkozy's party accused Agence France-Presse of "censorship" for not publishing one of its press releases. Ten days later, the government suggested that the news agency create a service dedicated to publishing press releases.

Press freedom has long been an uneasy subject in France, a country where many newspapers rely on government subsidies and where defense contractors control large swaths of the print and broadcast media.

But the latest episode in a simmering standoff between Sarkozy and French journalists has led to an unusually drawn-out and public confrontation.

"It's rather amusing, even for France," that the government accuses the media of censorship, Pierre Louette, chief executive of AFP, said in an interview by telephone Monday.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now Moddy is going to follow suit and demand the local papers publish his women's squash releases verbatim.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Stenography rules!

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Off topic, but I find it amusing that back when Bush was popular (hard to remember), the big complaint was that we are losing standing & respect in Europe. Now, his approval rating is in the toilet, and just about every major continental European country has elected a right of center (by their standards) Bush ally.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The old-time European left has always been off the charts (certainly by U. S. standards), right? What's happening is not an unpalatable reaction.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Uh, Chirac was right of center by their standards, too.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Also, off topic, but this morning I heard a radio report about the social revolution in France in 1968. I was floored that the people were able to muster the collective will to change their government substantially in a period of four weeks without violence breaking out. The result of that action isn't the best for France today, but I still think it's amazing that they were able to pull it off.

8. Guy_Incognito

But was a major Bush-hater. Point: They are moving right, and towards Bush & the war as we (the American public) move away from it.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Who is starting to just now get excited about the Iraq War?

10. Guy_Incognito

Not what I said. France, Germany & Spain for example have all voted for governments who are cooperating rather than obstructing the war. I find that interesting, as the American electorate seems to go in the other direction.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Surely you're not saying those elections were referenda on Bush.

12. Guy_Incognito

Nope, but I think it was some sort of factor. Just saying I think it's an interesting turn of events, and that the calls of Bush flushing American goodwill down the toilet may have been wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted