1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sari Horwitz suspended for plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not unjust at all. It's the worst thing a journalist can do.

The only time I'm even the slightest bit sympathetic is when a "notes network" stuff is involved. There have been cases where someone does the same thing over and over again for a decade and no one blinks, but then there's a change in management and suddenly what was once OK, is now a career-ender.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fabrication is much worse than plagiarism.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Whenever fabrication comes up, I can't help but think of Clyde Haberman. He says Abe Rosenthal was right to fire him way back when. But at the same time, he was allowed to return to the Times. If it happened today, I'm sure the lifetime ban really would be a lifetime ban.

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2006/05/the_guy_who_fir.html

4. Mizzougrad96

I agree 100 percent. It's also about a thousand times more difficult to prove.

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Fabrication - Albom got away with it.

6. Mizzougrad96

And has for decades.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

no question. but both are fireable offenses and fly against EVERYTHING we as an industry are supposed to stand for. it's a silly defense or rattionalize: 'yeah, i did was a capital offense. but that capital offense is worse...'

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hell, my former publisher got caught cut-and-paste plagiarizing from a fw star-telegram columnist and all he had to do was write a so-called apology column that read way more like just a sorry excuse for his crime. never once did the words "i'm sorry" appear in that column, just excuses.

9. To be fair, we don't know what's going on in her life. All journalists know how bad plagiarism is, so when someone does it, is it a stretch that it is a symptom and not the bottom-line problem? My first feeling upon reading this was sadness. Don't get me wrong. I understand the outrage. It's the wrong thing to do. No question. I'd also be careful to condemn without knowing all the facts.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who cares what's going on in her life. Too bad.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know what bothers me more - journalists who are quick to offer support to colleagues they know or those that are just as quick to trash others (journalists as well as those in other fields) who screw up without first-hand knowledge of what happened.
    And Kurtz should know, just winning a Pulitzer at the Washington Post isn't proof that someone is on the up and up.
    I have no doubt that many journos take short cuts, maybe to get that big job in New York or DC - or just to stay there.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If they only heard about this from the AZ Republic on Monday, do you think they could have truly reviewed all of her work with the Post this quickly?

She's been there how many years?

After Jason Blair, the Times took weeks reviewing his work. Now, maybe this is easier because you're looking for plagiarism & not fabrication, but could they have even run every story through some kind of software by now?

Draft saved Draft deleted