1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sari Horwitz suspended for plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When was the last time that Ambrose was paraded around "Today" and the 24-hour news networks?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In his heyday? Plenty.

Dead since '02.

3. Dick Whitman

Well there's your answer.

And I thought the Eisenhower stuff recently got plenty of attention.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He stole what seemed to be a very great deal more than Goodwin did. That's why I'd use him as the bad apple example.

5. Dick Whitman

Out of sight, out of mind.

If you think it's something else, stop beating around the bush and just say it.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No hidden agenda, Dick, honest.

Just interesting to me that he's not more often cited.

7. Dick Whitman

I think if he were still among us, he would be. Especially after the Ike interviews revelation.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Stephen Ambrose spent a third of his career stealing stuff, a third of his career getting his kids write under his name, and the other third figuring out which historical evens were patriotic enough to profit from. Seeing his name invoked in any context -- positive or negative -- only makes me miss Howard Zinn more.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I should not have said "nobody" but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that a very high percentage of people who have been caught doing this were doing it for the first time.

10. mb

mb Active Member

One, because she clearly knows better. Heck, I might almost have more sympathy for a cub reporter.

Two, because it would serve as a lesson for everybody -- if it gets a Pulitzer winner fired, it'll damn sure get your ass fired.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OK. Now's the part where one of us argues that fabrication is much worse than cut-and-paste, and that a career death sentence for a one-time error is unjust. Ready. Go.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think these days the bigger problem is fabrication, rather than plagiarism.

Don't get me wrong, both are awful and anyone caught doing either should be fired.

I just think fabrication is a lot more prominent these days and is a lot harder to prove.

Draft saved Draft deleted