1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sarasota, again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Aug 5, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A friend who works there says "A lot of good people" got cut today. Hope to get some details later on tonight.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

40 jobs cut, seven of them vacant positions. Those being dismissed will remain on the payroll for 45 days, with flexibility on how long they can work.

I'm told that for at least one group, a group meeting preceded the paper-wide meeting. Those attending were tapped on the shoulder and told to go to one room or the other. I think there was a group that did that sort of thing in the 40s.

OK, OK. That was too much. But still.

Sarasota's an NYT regional paper, for those keeping score. Wonder if others will follow.

Edit to add link: http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080806/ARTICLE/808060338/2107/BUSINESS&title=Herald_Tribune_reduces_its_staff

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Damn...

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Talk about burying the lede ...

All hail the almighty profit margin.

deskslave, a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have believed that story. Now, I'm not sure it even surprises me. Good luck to everyone affected ...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Names?

The rumor mill says Gainesville is next.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Pseudo: Again, not to excuse the way many of these things have been done, or years long mismanagement that led to this point, but newspapers ARE allowed to make some kind of profit. That's how they stay in business. The fact that she's citing this as unusual is the eye-opener.

The quarrel hasn't been with newspapers having a profit margin; it has been the size of that margin that has been the problem.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nowhere have I seen the list of those who were cut.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if all these losses are real or whether the figures include massive depreciation writeoffs, etc. There was a good book about the Detroit papers' application for JOA approval -- the title was a pun: "Paper Losses."

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lakeland will probably be next in line.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who was cut?
    What was the package?

11. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Charles Apple is reporting that a designer was laid off after less than four months.

http://www.visualeditors.com/apple

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What the effin eff? That's just brutal.

Draft saved Draft deleted