1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santorum Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Bubbler, you know I adore you.

But I think it's fair to point out that his daughter has Trisomy 18. People don't recover from that. People don't live very long with that.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If Ozzie Guillen had stepped into this, he'd be looking at a 15-game suspension right now ...

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does Santorum live in Gettysburg or his daughter being treated there? If not, then today's press conference is not just about dropping out because of his daughter or family.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Again, folks: Long-term prognosis for the daughter: NOT GOOD.

She was released from the hospital recently. That doesn't mean she's going to live.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wish the best for his daughter and his family in this tough time.

Having said that, I think a fair question that should have been asked of Santorum at one point would have been why he feels that all Americans shouldn't receive the same level of care that his daughter receives.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And this was the case before Santorum decided to run for president.

7. jr/shotglass

Might be a fair question in six months, or a year, or two.

Today, it would be a crass question.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All best wishes to his daughter, and her healthy future . . .

But the pressure on him to pull his campaign plug prior to the PA primary had to be enormous, as either result embarasses the GOP to a marked extent.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Santorum family has long lived in Virginia. It was an issue in his final Senate campaign. (Rightly so, I believe.) He didn't want to commute. And, he couldn't afford two households, so they moved to Virginia.

And, yes, his daughter has already outlived expectations. She may be out of the hospital, and doing "well", but she is not on the road to recovery.

She's a beautiful child. A three year old. And, her life has to be both a heartbreak, and an inspiration to her family.

Prayers for the entire Santorum family.

10. jr/shotglass

You know, I don't understand why people don't get this.

If you write this "best wishes to the daughter" stuff in your first sentence and jump back into the politics in the second sentence, nobody believes that your concentration is on the "best wishes to the daughter" part.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Lots of factors.

I would bet he feels very relieved today.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rick Santorum has shown no class or compassion whatsoever for homosexuals, and yet we are supposed to treat him kindly because he has an ill child when his broke and hopeless campaign capsizes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.