1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santonio Holmes traded to Jets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What is Indiana football?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You don't have to be an Indiana fan to think so, which is good, because I can't imagine why anybody would want to be a fan of Indiana football. :)

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Well 3 catches for 22 yards and a touchdown pass is hard to argue with...

Ward was the right choice...Willie Parker might have had a tiny gripe

And somewhere in between that the officiating crew deserves a nod.

Antwaan was, however, the best QB in the game.

4. outofplace

Parker had no gripe. He made one play and that was with a massive hole to run through. The stats don't show all of Ward's drops that day.

Plus, I just wanted to tease Piotr about liking Indiana.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Now, if they plan to control the game with that defense, it'll be a long year. :(

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You're overrating Holmes, OOP.
    As my buddy the Doc says, "Taking out last year, he basically averaged 3 catches a game for an average of 53 yards. Last year, that went up to 5 catches for 78 yards. Only 10 TD's the past two years (5 per), 20 total for 4 years. There are 30 guys in the league that can average 900 yards a year and 5 TD's.....and 50 that can do 750 and 5. Wallace had 40 catches for 750 and 6 for Gods sake......as a ROOKIE!!!!!!!!!!
    "Last year, his BEST year, Holmes only had three 100 yard games. He had 6 games of 4 catches or less. He basically did NOTHING the first half of the year short of the big opener against Tennessee where he had 9 for 131. His first half, he had 30 catches for 497 yards. 3.5 grabs a game for 62 measly yards....INCLUDING that huge 9 for 131 game AND one of his other 100 yard games (against Cleveland's D-backs who.....if those guys were blankets......the couldn't cover a BED!!!!!!!!!). His other 100+ yard game was against Oakland when Asomonguh was hurt and we threw like a thousand passes."
    A true deep threat can make the over the shoulder deep catch. Go through your memory banks and find one Holmes catch that fits that description.
    I'm certainly not going to sit here and pretend he didn't have great value. There were things he was very good at, including making a routine slant into a big play. But he was not elite, save for one afternoon in Tampa, perhaps. Or one drive, for that matter.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Dude there were what...three noticeable plays in the whole game not counting the bullshit officiating calls?

Anyone who made one of them has a gripe.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many NFL teams have three receivers as good as Edwards, Holmes and Cotchery?

9. outofplace

It was his third season, Twoback, and he took the big step forward he needed to. Actually, he took it at the end of 2008. You are very conveniently forgetting the clutch plays he made against the Ravens and Chargers in the playoffs, as well as the final regular-season meeting with Baltimore.

He was actually pretty damn good through the entire Super Bowl, and now you are actually trying to make it a bad thing that he came up huge on the game-winning touchdown drive? That's just ridiculous.

I never said he was a true deep threat. He doesn't make those plays very often. But he was still easily the best receiver that team had, especially given the fact that Hines Ward has hade more and more trouble staying healthy as he ages.

Wallace still has a hell of a lot to prove and he certainly doesn't have the same resume in big games that Holmes does. Not even close. But he's exciting, so he tends to get overrated a little. That, and many Steelers fans are just pissed off at Holmes, so they are responding as if this won't hurt the team. Maybe that's where your thoughts are coming from.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Minny

I just don't know if the three Jets will be as consistant.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not overlooking anything. I didn't realize the assignment was to recap every big play Holmes made during his career.
    I'm not pretending it doesn't hurt. I'm merely pointing out there were gaps in his game, gaps that kept him from being truly elite -- gaps the media who are proclaiming this a game-changer for the Jets will ignore right up until the point where they start to act as though they invented critical analysis of his play.
    Wallace can outrun DBs and showed, in his rookie year, he can make tough catches and catch deep balls. Those are three elements in which Holmes was either wholly deficient (burning speed and catching deep balls) or moderately deficient (tough traffic catches). So there's a tendency to hope a regular introduction of those elements to the offense will be beneficial.

Draft saved Draft deleted