1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santonio Holmes traded to Jets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

:D

Braylon's talented but I don't know if I'd call him a great RECEIVER. He makes some amazing catches, but he drops some really basic throws. Part of being great is being reliable. He is not.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The one thing that bothers me about the move is trading him to a team that is a legit conference contender. Santonio was Super Bowl MVP, sure, but so was Randle-El and the Steelers won another three seasons later without him. Holmes is not a true deep threat. Can't get beyond a great CB because he can't catch the ball over his shoulder. What he is, is a very good slot receiver dressed up as a No. 1. I loved his ability to break open a game with a good catch-and-run, but getting his butt suspended for four games less than 2 years after the traffic stop deal? I can live without that.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If Holmes played for, say, the Ravens I think he's still a member of the team.

As already noted, I think the organization's need to restore some order outweighed their need to get something back in return. From a football standpoint, that's unfortunate, because while Holmes isn't a true No. 1 wideout, a 26-year old coming off a 1,200-yard season is worth more than a fucking fifth round pick.

4. What she said.
    Dude drops more balls than a one-armed juggler.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Braylon can be great. Will he be great again? I think if anyone thought they could count on him playing like he did in 2007, he wouldn't have been practically given away last season.

The fact of the matter is the Jets got a lot better at receiver in the last 12 months and gave up very little to do so.

With that line and if Sanchez continues to improve, I could see the Jets being one hell of a contender next season.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

OK, maybe I should stop complaining about the return:

The Steelers were prepared to release wide receiver Santonio Holmes had they not been able to trade him, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

They took the best deal they could find late Sunday night -- a fifth-round choice in the April 22-24 draft from the New York Jets. It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049772-66.stm

EDIT: Sorry for the d_b.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, we know Trey.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, if I am Jets fan, I like the move a lot.

Very little risk for what could be a tough offense come November, December and January.

9. Mizzougrad96

This is the way you measure this deal. Is there any way the Jets could get a receiver like Holmes in the third round, much less the fifth round of the draft?

Even with him missing four games, this is a steal.

I applaud the Steelers for holding their players (at least most of them) to a higher standard than most teams. Think the Bengals or Ravens would have dealt Holmes? I sure as hell don't.

But when the Jets are in the playoffs and the Steelers are not. Fans will have license to gripe.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bengals would have offered him a low-ball contract extension. You could book that.
    I don't think losing Holmes will keep the Steelers out of the playoffs.
    Wallace is legit -- better at what Holmes ostensibly is than Holmes, for certain.
    If Sweed could prove he catch a freaking ball when it counts, he might be, also. That dude can get behind a D; I saw it against Baltimore and Cincy. Both drops.

11. Mizzougrad96

Exactly on the Bengals. They would have seen this as good news because they could then sign him below market value.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Ravens got Anquan Boldin for a fifth-round pick. The Patriots got Randy Moss -- a better receiver with less baggage (at least during his NFL career) -- for a fourth-round pick. For the Steelers to get a fifth for someone who got suspended four games, is one strike from a 16-game suspension and in the final year of his contract, I don't have a problem with the return.

And if anything, this might have been a calculated move by the Steelers, who want to return somewhat to their roots -- run Mendenhall, run clock, control the game with their defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted