1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santo strikes out again! (HOF veterans)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Joe Williams, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Even before the courtroom appearance, I never thought of Rafael Palmiero as a Hall of Famer.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Change the rules so I can get in, says Santo:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3756458

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Excellent point.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dumb. I hate it when potential HOFers shill for themselves.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wouldn't put it past the Veterans' Committee to be saying fuckabuncha Ron Santo and his whiny fellow Cubs fans. The yearly televised call that he didn't get it (strangely absent this year), the "This Old Cub" documentary, the bleatings from Chicago media, the "poor Ron" stuff -- you never know if there's some crusty old farts who figure whatever Santo's accomplishments, which even his supporters have to admit are borderline HOF at best, are overshadowed by the constant lobbying to get him inducted.

Heck, being rejected contributes to the local Santo deification. Here's a guy who was one of the chokingest teams of all time, who's diabetic, who's lost his legs and who is so close but never gets into the Hall of Fame, and still he has hope, and feels worst when the Cubs lose that day. He's the walking personification of every Cubs fan. Er, maybe that was a bad choice of words.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I loved this:

That's great. Does that mean Jim Eisenreich should get in because he played with Tourette's Syndrome? F--k no.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I like the part where he says the rules should be changed not just for him, but for the good of other players, too. Riiiight.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The other part of what he said is what everyone should be paying heed to.

10. Bubbler

I wonder if Jose Canseco did the injections? (Horrible, horrible joke)

11. Bubbler

Probably apropos of nothing, Santo's third most similar player on Baseball Reference is Gary Gaetti. Number one is Dale Murphy, number two is Ken Boyer.

4-6 are HOFers Yogi Berra, Gary Carter and Johnny Bench. Santo should have been a catcher. In fact, every HOFer on his top 10 list is a catcher. Carlton Fisk is there too.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I would bolded the first part, but Santo makes a better joke contradicting himself immediately afterwards.

Nobody really should be paying attention to Santo at all. He's a bitter old man who was good at baseball, but not good enough to be among the very best ever.

He should take comfort in that fact that he's beloved by Cub fans and that he's lived a long, productive life. He's had a chance to do things that me and millions of other boys can only dream about.

Buck O'Neill didn't complain once -- at least not openly -- about being shunned from the hall. Ron should follow Buck's lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted