1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santo strikes out again! (HOF veterans)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Joe Williams, Dec 8, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't know enough about Joe Gordon to say he doesn't belong.
    But as for the after-1943 ballot, Gil Hodges belongs in way before Ron Santo, who I'm not sure belongs.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Or even Gil Hodges?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Gil was so good he should have had 2 Ls in his name!

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

5. The Veterans Committee Breaks For Lunch.

[​IMG]

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Where is all the Hodges love coming from? He seems like a pretty solid, but not great player for about nine years, posting EQAs between .283 and .310 from 1949 to 1957, and .295 in 1959. At Baseball Reference, none of his 10 most comparable players are in the Hall of Fame:

1. Norm Cash (931)
    2. George Foster (925)
    3. Tino Martinez (920)
    4. Jack Clark (910)
    5. Boog Powell (898)
    6. Rocky Colavito (896)
    7. Lee May (894)
    8. Joe Adcock (894)
    9. Willie Horton (886)
    10. Roy Sievers (880)

Santo has a better case to me, because he had a higher peak than Hodges (.339, .337 and .328 EQAs) and played a tougher defensive position, 3B. Four of his comparables are in the Hall, although it's an odd bunch - Yogi Berra, Gary Carter, Johnny Bench and Carlton Fisk. I'm guessing it's because of the low SB totals and very high GIPD numbers.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Santo belongs, and I'm not saying that in my usual role as Cub-Hater.

I just think he needed to do what he did for two or three more years. Though I admit, I'm on relying totally on stats (fielding included) as Santo is before my time.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I wish you were right but for the good of baseball and failing health couldn't get Buck O'Neil in and he was a no-brainer.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

EQA?

Gil Hodges was by far the best defensive first baseman of his time, drove in 100 or more runs seven consecutive seasons and was the most important player (ask his teammates) on the Dodgers teams of the late 40s and early 50s... a team that included Hall of Famers Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Pee Wee Reese.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If old baseball players love one thing, it's other old baseball players. It's why the Hall of Fame is full of marginal candidates.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great guy. Heart of the Cubs. Very good player. Not a Hall of Famer.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yep. Pretty much how I see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted