1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santo strikes out again! (HOF veterans)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Joe Williams, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The veterans committee fails again for the post-1942 group. No Santo, no Hodges, no Torre. Nobody.

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=10390&vkey=hof_pr

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. — Nine-time All-Star and five-time World Series champion Joe Gordon was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame today by the Veterans Committee.
    Gordon, who played second base for the New York Yankees and the Cleveland Indians from 1938-43 and 1946-50, received 10 of a possible 12 votes from the Veterans Committee members who voted on the pre-1943 ballot. That ballot featured players who began their big league careers before 1943. Gordon received votes on 83.3 percent of ballots cast, with 75 percent necessary for election. He will be enshrined July 26 at the Induction Ceremony in Cooperstown with any players elected in the Baseball Writers' Association of America vote, results of which will be announced Jan. 12.
    Results of the 2008 Pre-1943 Players Ballot (nine votes needed for election): Gordon (10 votes, 83.3 percent), Allie Reynolds (eight, 66.7 percent), Wes Ferrell (six, 50.0 percent), Mickey Vernon (five, 41.7 percent), Deacon White (five, 41.7 percent), Bucky Walters (4, 33.3 percent), Sherry Magee (three, 25.0 percent), Bill Dahlen, Carl Mays and Vern Stephens (fewer than three).
    No player reached the 75-percent threshold necessary for election to the Hall of Fame in the post-1942 balloting. With 100 percent of all 64 living Hall of Famers returning their ballot, 48 votes were necessary to meet the 75-percent standard for election. Voters could choose up to four candidates, and an average of 3.33 votes per ballot were cast.

Among the Hall of Fame candidates on the post-1942 ballot, former Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox third baseman Ron Santo led all candidates with 39 votes, totaling 60.9 percent of all ballots cast.

Results of the 2008 Post-1942 Players Ballot (48 votes needed for election): Santo (39 votes, 60.9 percent), Jim Kaat (38, 59.4 percent), Tony Oliva (33, 51.6 percent), Gil Hodges (28, 43.8 percent), Joe Torre (19, 29.7 percent), Maury Wills (15, 23.4 percent), Luis Tiant (13, 20.3 percent), Vada Pinson (12, 18.8 percent), Al Oliver (nine, 14.1 percent), Dick Allen (seven, 10.9 percent).

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Assholes.

3. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

Ok, I've made my case for Dick Allen on the other thread and I definitely think he should be in. But a lot don't, so fine. But he got LESS THAN HALF AS MANY VOTES AS MAURY WILLS?! Is that serious?! I'm so bummed right now. Allen--156 career OPS+, Wills--88. That is ridiculous. As for Gordon, the guy played 11 seasons! I know he missed a few with the war and all, but even if he played those you think he woulda been worthy? I'm probably preaching to the choir on that, but really now. He's probably in because people still think "9-time All Star" is significant.

I hate the Veterans Committee, it should be disbanded.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Joe Gordon gets in, Ron Santo doesn't. Jesus.

I'm not a Cubbie apologist or a big fan by any means, but Santo was just as much a part of those 1960s teams as Banks and Williams were. Is it any coincidence that after Santo's departure, the Cubs had a revolving door at third until Aramis Ramirez stepped in?

Wow. Something needs to be done about the Vets Committee. Bud, you might want to open up some HOF balloting to the fans (maybe an "elect a vet" contest?)

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Veterans Committee is the only thing more stupid and misguided than college football coaches polls.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Which pile of putzes makes up the veterans committee?

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Every living Hall of Famer, in the post-1943 category.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Dick Allen is incredibly underappreciated.

9. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

But only 12 voted (for the pre-1943 group). I'd like to know which 12 were responsible

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

A fucking crime.

I love Cooperstown, but I'll never visit there again until Santo is put where he belongs.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm a Cubs fan who realizes Santo may not have had a HOF career. Yes, blasphemy, I know.

But for this to continue is a crime. The man has made so many contributions to the game of baseball, including many that weren't realized until after his playing days. He needs to be in Cooperstown, and they need to do it before diabetes gets the final out.

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I agree. He's a borderline candidate as a player and you could certainly make the case he belongs. The other stuff should push him over the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted