1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santana traded to Mets for prospects

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chester

chester Member

I don't know, ask the Twins GM.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm guessing so you never have to face him. Get him into the NL, even if it for cheap players you don't have to spend large sums of money on, right Carl?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I just heard Zeke jump.

4. chester

chester Member

Must be.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

<EXPLETIVE DELETED!>

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

The Mets are only trading for one year of him. They have to pay market value after that. This is a good deal for them, but it's not exactly a robbery. Basically, they payed for one year and then a posting fee.

The real winner in all of this: The Red Sox.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It's called realizing you overplayed your hand and trying to get at least a little something tangible out of it.

And before everyone starts making plans to attend his press conference, remember that Santana and the Mets have to agree on an extension. Will the Wilpons be willing to spend the $150 million or so of guaranteed money it's going to take to sign him?

Heck, the cynic in me wonders if the reports of an agreement were prematurely leaked by the Twins in a desperate effort to get the Yankees and their better offer back in the mix. If that's true, will Hank override Hal and Cashman and give up the farm for him?

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

They didn't need Santana to win the Series last year, and they'll just be happy to keep their prospects and be glad he didn't end up on the Yankees. Even better, he's in the other league.

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Exactly.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

First off, my sincerest apologies to Rosie and Zeke. This deal ... well ... SUCKS!

As much as I want to pull for the Twins come playoff time, it's times like these I'm reminded that an idiot like Carl Pohlad is the team owner.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is sub-moronic.

If that's the best offer right now, you at least keep him until the break.

I mean, how could you do any worse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.