1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santana trade official

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 1, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

hb, to paraphrase your friend BYH from earlier and elsewhere...mind your own business or take it to PMs.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Zeke, please correct me if I'm wrong. But wasn't Santana the best home-grown pitcher in Twins history? He's among the top five starters in the game. Why not give him the two additional years as an act of good faith, a way to thank him for everything he has done for the organization?

3. markvid

markvid Guest

They don;t see him being worth that much in 6 years.
    And I can't say I blame them.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

But they aren't the Sox or Yanks.
    An extra 40 million as a thank you gift isn't feasible to them.

5. outofplace

Any idea if he would have signed such a deal without a no-trade clause?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Pohlad has the cash. He doesn't want to spend it.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You can sign him now and trade him to the Yankees or the Red Sox in four years, then. Hell, barring major injury, he'd be underpaid at $20 million a year in four years -- and you can take out insurance on such an injury.

This reeks of Pohlad simply not wanting to pay and copping out. Cheap fucking bastard.

He has a new, publicly financed park opening in two years, and he just let the best pitcher in the free world walk because he's a stubborn old coot.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Why should he? It's a business, he's in it for profit.
    The only way this will ever get fixed is fans stop coming to make the point.
    We all, unfortunately, know that's not going to happen.

9. outofplace

I would think the new stadium is the part that is galling to Twins fans. I get that he doesn't want to dip into his own pockets rather than just spend team revenues, but this time I think it was just foolish and short-sighted.

Lay out some cash to make sure the team is good when they move in, make a big splash and pump up the revenue. Then go back to being a cheap bastard in a few years if you have to.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bullshit. Pohlad pockets more than $20 mill every year in revenue sharing money. He's also the richest owner in baseball. He's just too fucking cheap to pay what Johan was worth

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Johan is a draw. One of the five best pitchers in the game starting for your team every fifth day? That alone should sell out the new park. You'd have to be the biggest idiot ever if you couldn't market him.

Watch the Mets in '09. Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Santana are going to be all over Citi Field, marketing the hell out of the new digs.

12. outofplace

Exactly. Forget cheap, though you can point to that as well. This was just dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted