1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santana trade official

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 1, 2008.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Exactly right. I can't believe anyone thought the deal wouldn't get done. If anything, the negotiating deadline would have just kept getting extended.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My buddy called me as soon as I stepped away from my computer to let me know the deal had gone through. I nearly drove into a fucking truck I was so excited.

Raise your hand if you want to be my hero and buy me a No. 57 jersey in orange, black and blue. ...

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Maybe your girlfriend will buy it ....... oh wait.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

With a measure of additional futility, he's in the running for the Harold Stassen award.

Stassen was Fail, before there WAS Fail.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If it means anything, my ex-girlfriend bought me a David Wright plaque, complete with a glorious photo of the superstar, a part of a game-used baseball, a certificate of authenticity and a Mets emblem in a beautiful picture frame for Christmas/Festivus. With my birthday coming up, she just might follow through.

I bought her a Ray Lewis jersey for her birthday, so we'll see. ...

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Does that qualify as knocking it off?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Can you please stop being a shithead jerk for even two seconds?

Santana, Pedro, Maine, Perez, El Duque, Pelfrey and Minaya said Lohse is still a consideration.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I told my friend about Lohse today, too. He asked, "Where are they going to put El Duque?" The answer was easy: Do you really expect El Duque and Pedro to make 30-35 starts apiece this season? Lohse isn't awesome, but he's a very, very good No. 5 starter. He wouldn't be bad in the midde-relief spot, either. He'll be able to get his reps in between those spot starts or if he needs to replace one of the five guys for an extended amount of time. An extra -- and proven -- starter, is never a bad thing to have.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ah. Have to love the objectivity.

Edit: Mike beat me to, it. Doesn't seem like Lohse would be particularly costly at this point, either.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not the biggest Lohse fan because he pretty much sucked in the A.L. But perhaps in the not-as-deep N.L. he can be effective. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that Duque can be a long reliever or set up man.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You don't have to respond to him and the other posters you don't like. For fuck's sake, act like a goddamn adult.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is what fucking kills me.

Santana's deal is going to average out at, what, $21.5 million a year for seven?

The Twins offered $20 million a year for four. Johan said he'd take the twenty but he wanted six years.

Give them to him! Hell, trade him later if you want. Take out insurance on his arm and you're golden.

This wasn't a money problem. This is just Pohlad being a dumbass, cheapskate asshat, once again.

Draft saved Draft deleted