1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Fe Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pops, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Pops

Pops Member

The last thing I need right now is to move to the desert to cover Little League, but I'm just curious ... what is this? Does the Albuquerque Journal really have a writer dedicated to preps and youth sports at a remote bureau? Or is this a string of associated weeklies or something?

Company: Albuquerque Journal North
    Position: Seeking Santa Fe Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 21, 2006
    Job ID: 660437

Description:
    The Albuquerque Journal's Journal North/Santa Fe edition is accepting applications for a sports reporter position. The job's primary responsibility is coverage of prep sports in Santa Fe and around northern New Mexico, but our sports reporter does much more - everything from rodeo to local small college sports to Little League. We're looking for a reporter with a year or two of daily newspaper experience but could be persuaded to consider someone with a good background at a weekly or a college paper. Send a resume and clips to editor Mark Oswald at mark_oswald@abqjournal.com or 328 Galisteo, Santa Fe NM 87501.

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Since Sante Fe is the state capital, I don't know that this would be a remote bureau -- more like a regional edition of the Albuquerque paper. They're only about an hour apart, with virtually nothing in between.

I love Sante Fe and might have considered this gig a few years ago, but I can't imagine being able to afford living in Sante Fe on what this job will pay.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ahh, Santa Fe. I'm wearing a funky ring I bought in Santa Fe a few years ago. Great little town.

It's where the future POTUS resides.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Your mouth to the Supreme Being's ears, X-man...

And yes, Santa Fe is a great town, especially around Spanish Market time.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The Journal North is essentially a zoned edition of the Journal. Santa Fe's got a few high schools, and prep hoops is big there. It looks like some of the northern communities - Taos, Los Alamos, Española - are also included in the coverage area from time to time. The writer that had this gig (Will Weber) was outstanding.

I imagine the pay will be low, and Santa Fe is very expensive to live in. The snowbirds have driven up the costs of everything - housing, food, gas, entertainment. Santa Fe routinely pays 10-15 cents more for a gallon of gas than Albuquerque, to give you an idea.

6. Thanks for stopping by, Will!

7. zman82

zman82 Member

how low is low these days in santa fe? we talking mid20K for newbies?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Cadet is a she, newb.

Draft saved Draft deleted