1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Cruz Sentinel: To cut 21 percent of newsroom staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Wow. Our business is in a state of disaster. I'll bet in a decade only about half of us are left ... if that many.

2. boots

boots New Member

I think there are certain mom and pop places - and there aren't many left - that will still be around.

3. I agree boots. Problem is, I don't care to be working at a Mom and Pop paper when I'm a decade away from retirment.

With 20 to 25 good working years left, barring any unforseen and unfortunate demise, I'm thinking newspaper is something i need to bail on now rather than wait 10 years to see. By that time, it will be too late. And Mom and Pop's shop aint where I wanna be in my 50s.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Lord, I hope you're wrong.

5. Me too. I don't mean to sound like the Angel of Death but even a blind man could see this trend clearly.

6. boots

boots New Member

Yeah and the worst part is everyone is holding their fingers in the dam saying it won't burst. I'm sorry but it's down right brutal now. This ship is taking on some serious water.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

No, this was about what was expected. It's what the guy does everywhere he goes. He's following the model he used when he gutted the SoCal papers. Not one bit of a surprise.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

santa cruz put out a solid product for a 26k. i guess it will be 21 percent less solid, now.

but, cnhi originally bought it from ottaway before it sold the paper to deano. i guess it could be a little bit worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted