1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Claus question ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Dec 5, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If Santa had a beer at every house he stopped at I'd hate to think of the Dec. 26 hangover.

I guess that would explain why he sleeps the whole day on the 26th.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I believed until I was 9 or 10. My younger sister told me :D

We always left out cookies, peanuts and beer for Santa. Apparently Santa really likes beer.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The pure evil and mean-spiritedness of crushing dreams on this thread is absolutely great--fasicinating and funny stuff.

Now that's what the Christmas spirit is all about. ;D

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If Santa likes to drink beer, maybe he likes sports, too. What's his favorite team?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Jesus that was funny.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Judging by the swag I got as a kid, Santa was a frontrunner.

Lotsa Steelers and Rams stuff in 1979 and 1980. Then the Jets and Giants became relevant in 1981 and--presto!--lots of Jets and Giants stuff under the tree that year.

I got a Rams shirt with the number 81 on it that was by far favorite piece of clothing in second or third grade. I must have worn it everyday...including picture day. Which is kinda funny. Then my parents have a picture of me reading to my sister (this is sportsjournalists.com, it's a message board, if you're not there you're a fraud) and I'm wearing the Rams shirt.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

There was no Santa Claus in my life. My parents had Christmas, presents, the tree, all that shit, but they never tried to feed us the Santa lie. They would openly tell us why other parents did that and how they chose not to lie to us. It never stopped us from having a good Christmas most years, and I don't feel bad about it or anything like that.

However, telling this story to my in-laws around Christmas and forgetting that little nephews and nieces were around got me in a shitload of trouble last year.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

FC Santa Claus, of course!
    http://www.soccerway.com/teams/finland/fc-santa-claus/

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The first Christmas I remember was in 1973. I was three years old. Bad Dad Zero walked outside with a shotgun and fired two shots in the air. He came back inside and said that there would be no more Christmasses as he just shot and killed Santa Claus.
    But seriously folks...I have a cousin that's four days younger than me. My folks told me he still belived in Santa. Meanwhile his folks told him I still believed in Santa. We made concerted efforts to not burst the other's "Santa believing" bubble for many years. We were fifteen when I finally took him aside and told him the truth about Santa Claus. He said he was already on it but had kept mum for many years because I supposedly believed in Santa. I slapped him around and said "No...I don't believe in Santa. I believe in Satan!"
    First Christmas I can remember was 1974. I got a slot car race set. Three days later my dad and uncle quit playing with it and I got to squeeze the trigger for the first time. Great thing about said SCRS...both cars had cigarette advertising on them.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I don't remember.

Baby MMSW never had an a-ha moment. She's always known. And she had this funny exchange with a classmate:

KID: What did Santa bring you?
    BMMSW: Nothing. My parents get my presents because they love me. What did your parents bring you?
    KID: Nothing.

Also an aside, courtesy of Baby MMSW who shouted the joke at me while I was in the shower: What do you get when a wizard turns Santa into a bird? Polly Old St. Nicholas.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I found out about Santa Claus not being real at the same time I found out God wasn't real.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

The e-mail I got from my mother last week said, 'You'll be so proud of me. You'll open your Christmas box and you'll think I was shopping in Calgary.'

That means that every goddamn thing in that box has a Flames logo on it.

My mother, who is batshit crazy but not near as batshit crazy as 21's mom (God bless them both), seems to think I need to be decked out in everything Flames because I'm a fan and I live in Calgary.

I will thank her as generously as I can muster but everything will likely be regifted. To children.

Draft saved Draft deleted