1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Claus question ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Dec 5, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I just sorta figured it out. Maybe when I was 6 or 7.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I once heard reindeer hooves on our rooftop.
    First got a clue he might not be real when we were at my uncle's house and Santa Claus visited there Christmas Eve. I got a little bowling ball and bowling pins made out of wood. Anyway, when Santa was leaving, I saw my uncle slip him a jug of Old Stump Puller.
    First solid evidence was when the present I got still had the price sticker from the department store.
    My dad said when he was young a man with apparently way too many kids was tired of being bugged about Santa Claus. He went and got his shotgun, went outside, touched off two rounds, came back in and declared, "That takes care of Santa Claus." His kids were mortified.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I looked it up in the encyclopedia. It said "legendary"

I was a REALLY cool kid, btw.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

All you haters can enjoy your coal this Christmas!

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for saying that, SportsBruh. ;)

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My dad used to threaten to leave the fire burning in the fireplace all night.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Never believed in Santa Claus. There was only one fat man that brought us presents, and it was our Uncle Michael.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I heard that one, too.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I noticed when I was eight or so that my mom had the exact same handwriting as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Yes, we got notes from the Easter Bunny. We were special.

So I thought that was odd and asked my mother about it and she hemmed and hawwed. I knew the gig was up when I lost a tooth on vacation and got a couple bucks under my pillow. How's the tooth fairy know we were in Old Orchard Beach in Maine? the fuck.

Fast forward a few weeks later...we're shopping at the Big Y and my mom dispatches my sister and I to the frozen food section. "Hey," I say as we're leaning into one of the freezers, "there is no Santa Claus. Mom told me. She writes the notes."

My sister started wailing. To this day I have no idea why I decided to shatter my sister's world right there in the frozen food section of Big Y. I wasn't mad at her and we got along. I guess I was just eight and a shithead. Funny story worth re-telling every Xmas though.

My favorite Santa story happened a few years earlier, when my dad was telling me he woke up and saw Santa putting the presents under the tree. "What happened then?" I said. "I had a beer with him," Dad said. So for the next few years I had this image of my dad and Santa leaning against the sink and drinking bottles of Miller Lite.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

WTF is Santa doing drinking Miller Lite piss? That dude has how many fridges to raid that he can't get something better than Miller Lite?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe my dad was the only nice dad on the block. Ever think of that? Huh? :D

My dad was on this Miller Lite kick when he was running marathons. Only after he stopped running did he start drinking good shit like microbrews and Sam Adams.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It wouldn't have been so bad. But we never did see him put the fire out.

Draft saved Draft deleted