1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Clara PD Attacks Pac 12 Fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Real knuckle draggers with GED degrees.

Boy Levi Stadium has become a real shit show so far. So much for
    laid back Californians.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I look forward to Barons police defense on this one.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For one, what was the guy doing before the tape was rolling?

Two, the cop tells him he's under arrest, and the guy starts to move away from him.

Three, they're trying to take him down, and the guy won't go down until there are five cops on him.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Except there does not appear to be any fucking reason why he needed to be put "under arrest" or "taken down." According to the article the dude's only offense was walking on the wrong side of the pathway, which ain't supposed to be a take down and arrest sort of offense, but more of the simply "sir, could you please walk on the other side of the line..." variety.

At the point this happened the guy's no longer on the wrong pathway--so problem solved--and it appears he just wants to get away from these cops and return to his seat, which is what reasonable maintainers of order would've allowed him to do. But, since the cops in question here were a pack of dimwitted douchebags, they instead pulled out the tasers and clubs and went into tackle, choke and arrest mode.

5. Baron Scicluna

Except it looked like the guy was arguing with the co p from the first couple seconds of the video. Not a "Sir, you are walking on the wrong side." "Oh, I'm sorry," sort of situation.

Maybe the cops were stressed, or maybe the guy made a mistake on where he was walking, or maybe they all were being douchebags. I don't know.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep. Baron is going to excuse anything a cop does. They could have pulled the guy out of his seat and beaten him to death, and Baron would want to see the ticket stub to make sure the guy was in fact in the right seat.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In all fairness, of all the examples of excessive force we've seen lately, a dude getting hit in the legs with a baton and tackled to the ground is the most benign of any of them.

8. Baron Scicluna

And as usual, you add very little to the conversation.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When did OOP start posting under Barons's name?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Police brutality at it's finest. Talk about a situation where a guy was not presumed innocent. I have a feeling we are going to hear more about this story.

If 5 or 6 of those cops are not suspended by tomorrow something is wrong in
    Santa Clara.

They guy appears to be Caucasian. Imagine if the guy was perhaps Asian or
    Middle Eastern. It would have been the cable news story of the week.

We may have even heard from 1600 saying that the cops acted
    stupidly or that the guy looked like my Uncle Joe from Joplin.

11. Baron Scicluna

Try sitting in the expensive seats at Yankee Stadium with a wrong ticket. You'd be buried underneath A-Rod's rotting corpse.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Came across a discussion of the Santa Clara PD on a law enforcement discussion board (http://forums.officer.com/t144214/) Not only do officers make over $100,000 a year, they also come into the department already with years and years of experience. Taking both those into account, no way this should've turned into a whole bunch of cops piling on some hapless middle-aged citizen.

But then again, I suppose it'll be SOP for cases like this. No indictments but a five-figure civil payout later on to the fan involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted