1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa... and your kids...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Nov 11, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people on here have young kids.

My kids are 7 and 8 and we have gone to great lengths to try to keep them believing in Santa for as long as we can.

Yesterday, a delightful Jewish kid told everybody on the afterschool program that Santa was fake, that they're parents did it, elf on a shelf is fake and they're idiots if they believe anything their parents tell them about Santa.

I think we have our kids back in line for now, but I'm curious how others on here have handled the issue. Were you like my parents, who fessed up immediately as soon as I questioned it? or Did you try to do something to get another few years out of it?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You created this thread solely to lure Whitman back, didn't you?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Glad this isn't a Poin Files thread.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Some on here, if they're in the right mood, are capable of giving good, thoughtful advice. :D

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Honestly, I doubt your kids bought your story. They might go along because there's an upside. But trying to keep the Santa thing alive much past seven or eight seems like a pretty useless exercise. By second grade, I had learned an awful lot about the real world in schoolyards and buses.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mine are 31 and 28.

They still believe. I do, too.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I think there is a bit of that. They believe because they want to, or they're scared that if they don't, they won't get anything.

I think the fact that the kid who was telling everyone was Jewish, helped the cause a bit.

Maybe I'll just tell them that his people were the ones who killed Jesus, so naturally he doesn't want anyone to believe in a celebration of his birthday.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I can see why you want to keep them sweet and naive a while longer. In just a few years they'll probably be banging a middle school teacher. :)

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I wonder how old they were when Dick delivered the bad news.
    I was 9 or 10. I'd had my doubts but I wanted to think it was real.
    Having much older sisters didn't really help.

10. RecoveringJournalist

I was eight. I had a friend with an older brother. He broke the news to both of us. I asked my mom about it and she readily fessed up. My parents were also in the middle of getting divorced, so I don't think my mom had the energy to reel me back in.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Herald runs "Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus" as its only editorial on Christmas Day every year. Best editorial they run, and it still works for me.

12. RecoveringJournalist

That's awesome. The Globe's editorial is probably, "No, there's no Santa, and you should never forgive your parents for lying to you."

Draft saved Draft deleted