1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanford Herald sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by melock, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Having worked in north Texas I know exactly what pressboxer is talking about. Those 5-A schools in west Texas have to travel a ton.

There's an issue now in eastern North Carolna for 4-A schools Greenville J.H. Rose and New Bern. They're the biggest schools out that way, and it looks like Rose is going to have to play in a conference with Raleigh-area schools.

Oh, and about the Sanford paper, if it weren't owned by such a crap company it wouldn't be a bad place to work. It's close enough to Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Durham that opportunities for ACC coverage wouldn't be that difficult to try to squeeze into what I imagine is primarily high school beat coverage.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Paxton Media Group is a big red flag to be sure. The SE, Alex Podlogar, is a good guy and works his tail off. We have swapped gamers a few times. Basically, it's a sweatshop and I wonder how anyone would find time to cover ACC stuff.

3. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

I don't know much about the paper, but lived there for a few months about five years ago. Needless to say the town leaves a lot to be desired, especially if you've never lived in the South before.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Pressboxer, sure hope you guys don't drive SUVs out there with all that traveling.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

In my case, a Miata

33.5 mpg with the top up on my last trip to one of those places

Oh, and no one has asked me to help them move in years

Draft saved Draft deleted