1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanford Herald sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by melock, Apr 16, 2008.

1. melock

melock Active Member

From JJobs:

The Sanford Herald, a six-day daily newspaper located in the heart of North Carolina, is seeking a full-time sports reporter to work with the sports editor in an energetic and award-winning two-person department. Coverage includes primarily high school sports with several opportunities to cover some of the nation's top collegiate programs (UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke and N.C. State are all less than an hour away) and some world-class golfing events (nearby Pinehurst will host the 2011 U.S. Open). Sanford is located 45 minutes south of Raleigh and about half an hour north of Pinehurst and Southern Pines. It is home to several good golf courses, including Tobacco Road, ranked the 10th toughest course in the U.S. by Golf Digest. Job applicant must be self-motivated and have the ability to cover four local high schools and create high-quality game stories in addition to providing features and columns. Page layout experience is absolutely necessary. Please send a cover letter, resume and writing examples to Sports Editor Alex Podlogar, P.O. Box 100, Sanford, N.C. 27331-0100 or e-mail them to alexp@sanfordherald.com.

Anyone know anything about this gig?
  2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Re: Stanford Herald sports writer

I've been through this area once, that's about it. It seems like a good little area, a little bit away from the triangle's traffic and all that, but there seemed to be enough stuff close by. The upside is that you're not too far away from the RDU (Raleigh-Durham) area.
  3. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

Three words of caution: Paxton Media Group.
  4. slatter

slatter Member

What's their circulation?
  5. slatter

slatter Member

Just over 10k. Answered my own question. :)
  6. melock

melock Active Member

My fault. Fixed now.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

That's about all you need.

It used to be a pretty decent paper. I knew the SE there years ago. He had been there a while, he had the budget to avoid being excessively cheap when hiring a No. 2 person and it was a decent place.

Now, not so much.
  8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Back in high school, Lee County was in our (Raleigh-area) conference for some reason. Went down there for their homecoming one year, and as we are heading to the field a row of seven and eight-year-olds started screaming "Blue team sucks."

Blue team did not suck. We won, and racial slurs and rocks were thrown at the bus as we drove away.

What does that have to do with the paper? Nothing. But it's all I know about Sanford.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Back in the day, Lee Senior was grouped with the Raleigh-area schools for athletic purposes. Tim Stevens, the high school reporter for the N&O, and the Raleigh schools needed - probably still need - to get over the fact that travel sometimes exists for road athletic functions. The Raleigh schools have no idea how whiny they sound to others who understand that two- and three-hour trips sometimes happen to play games, matches and meets.

Sanford isn't too terribly far from Raleigh. That is one redeeming quality. I don't think the editor who left the sports tip "Jackets Blow It Out The Ass" on 1A is still there, either - though said editor wasn't fired for that particular blunder.
  10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I didn't mind it too much Sam, but it seemed silly because Lee athletes just had to constantly be driving to and from Raleigh.

Besides, one of the advantages to being in a metro area like Raleigh is that there shouldn't be that much travel. If you are down east or up in the mountains, you expect it. If you have friends at church that go to five different high schools, you'd like to think two-hour drives for conference games could be avoided.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Lee Senior was on an 4-A island back in the day. Wilmington is too far away. So is Rockingham and Wadesboro. Grouping Lee with the Raleigh schools was the only thing that remotely made sense.

Then again, App, since when has the NCHSAA exercised the first rational thought? At least the county finally has another high school and seems to be linking itself to the schools in Harnett County more often.

At the risk of sounding older than the (Sand)hills, does anyone know where Matt Martin, the SE there years ago, went?
  12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I don't see what all the fuss is with you Carolinians. Starting in August, 10 schools in West Texas are being grouped in one Class 5A district that stretches from Amarillo to San Angelo, roughly 300 miles. San Angelo will be about 120 miles from its closest district opponent. Other than crosstown games in Amarillo (two schools), Lubbock (three schools), Midland and Odessa (two schools each) and games involving Midland schools playing Odessa schools, every district road trip will be at least two hours. The district football schedule will start the weekend of Sept. 4-6, the second week of the season.
Draft saved Draft deleted