1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandy Alderson: Padres may allow bloggers in press box

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 19, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://ducksnorts.com/blog/2008/06/chatting-with-sandy-alderson-part-3.html

Alderson: Well, first of all, I really believe in as much interface with the public as possible. I do a radio show every week — we’ve got Grady [Fuson], Kevin [Towers], Paul — all those guys do a radio show every week, and my attitude is, the more people hear about us and from us, the better off we are because I have a lot of confidence in the people we have here.

The blogosphere creates another opportunity to communicate, and I’ve got a lot of confidence in Paul — in his ability to write, in his ability to self-edit if that’s necessary — to be as straightforward as possible under the circumstances. We ran it internally for, I don’t know, a month or something like that and decided… let’s go ahead. I’m not sure what we get back in the form of commentary is terribly useful because it tends to be — not a fringe element, but I wouldn’t say it’s [laughs] an accurate poll of public opinion.

Ducksnorts: It’s like the radio. [laughs]

Alderson: Right, and I don’t consider that to be perfectly representative either, but it’s another source for us…

Ducksnorts: You’ve got to be out there.

Alderson: Yeah.

Ducksnorts: I think that’s commendable that you guys view it as an opportunity, because [with] a lot of people — not necessarily within the baseball world, but within the corporate world, my experience has been, “this is new, we don’t know what it is, and let’s wait till someone else does it before we determine that, oh, hey, yeah, that was a good idea; we really should have gotten in on that.”

Alderson: The other thing we’ve been toying around with is allowing people like yourself into the press box. I know there’s a lot of controversy about that among mainstream media and so forth, but our attitude is, the more access, the better. In Paul’s case, it’s a chance for him to express himself on an unflitered basis. He doesn’t get interpreted by [radio host] Philly Billy [Werndl] or [newspaper columnist] Tim Sullivan or somebody else. It’s an unvarnished line of communication.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Padres should worry more about fielding a better baseball team that's drawing no one to a great place like Petco Park. Getting more bloggers into the stadium isn't what helps, a speedy leadoff hitter, lineup protection and another big bat along with AG, etc. can help the Padres get San Diego fans' attention.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

There's a baseball thread, you know.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You find yourself in dialogue with someone named "Ducksnorts," you should really think about things.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Translation: The more access that we can tightly control, the better.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Has Ducksnorts gotten to the bottom of Vladdy's contract extension yet? :D :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted