1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court *UPDATE -- Guilty on 45 of 48 counts*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court

What are you implying?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course they are "different." So what?

The question is, what makes a sex crime accuser --- separate from all other crimes that can be committed on a human being --- subject to anonymity, either by law or ethics?

Is sex still such a taboo subject that someone fondled once needs/deserves anonymity, whereas someone who was disfigured during an attempted murder doesn't need such protection?

Yes, we have a sad history of lawyers portraying rape accusers in a horrible light. But is that any worse than lawyers basically telling a jury, "these police officers attempted to plant evidence and frame this innocent former football star"?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, what about a murder victim? Should their names be public?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's nothing with you Stitch, trust me.

Mark has a history here and a post that includes KKK and or Nazi uniform just seems fitting after a post from Mark.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so. They might die of shame.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

93Devil, with all due respect, just stop. Not for my sake or anyone else on this board, but for your sake. Pretty soon you'll need more than a shovel to dig yourself out. Just my $.02

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Like I give a shit.

Hopefully when is a woman is murdered, and the man rapes the living hell out of her while he kills her, you leave out the part about her getting raped.

I stated that I have no problem with the accused facing their accuser, and knowing the name, but it should be illegal for anyone to print the names of the victims or make them public.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

No, it shouldn't.

Stop it.

9. 93Devil

Just my opinion. I don't need the world to agree with me.

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Then you need to explain which of the Bill of Rights you're willing to do away with -- the right to face your accuser or the right to a free press.

Otherwise, you do need to stop this.

11. 93Devil

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_s_trial_the_witnesses_shouldn_t_be_outed_against_their_will_.html

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree it's up to each media outlet to decide. I think the judge ruled properly in allowing the names to be disclosed. If info is available to any Joe sitting in the courtroom, it should be available to any Joe sitting on his couch.

Draft saved Draft deleted