1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court *UPDATE -- Guilty on 45 of 48 counts*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 4, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court

You can't set those kinds of distinctions.

We don't have a secret society. You have the right to face your accusers in this country. And trials are public. The 6th Amendment was very well thought out. You have a right to a speedy trial and the reason our trials are held publicly (which means that anything that comes to light from them is out in the open -- including the name of an alleged rape victim) is to make sure that people can be there to witness it and make sure that the rules get followed. If you are ever wrongly accused or at the mercy of an overzealous prosecutor who is trying to break the rules, that should be a comfort to you. Because it is at least an attempt to make sure that you get a fair shake -- with everything done out in the open and people able to see whether you get due process.

What happens to a rape victim is terrible. But perhaps the larger problem is the stigmatization people apparently attach to it with the "We have the protect the rape victim." It's something most people don't feel as vehemently about when it comes to victims of other types of crimes. I do get it. Because there has traditionally been a stigmatization associated with being raped, a victim might not want to come forward and help police and prosecutors. But then the answer to me isn't perpetuating that stigma by acting like the victim has any reason to have to hide who they are. A victim didn't do anything wrong. We should be encouraging people to hold their heads high and be comfortable confronting someone who does something horrible to them, not keeping the stigma too many people associate with rape in place with the archaic attitude that we need to "protect the victim."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New Poll: On which thread is 93Devil making the most ridiculous argument:

A. Sandusky Thread

B. Baseball Thread

C. Other

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cronkite School of Journalism is Arizona State.

“A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything, says they’re beautiful even when they’re ugly, thinks they’re smart even when they go to Arizona State…” -- Jack Donaghy

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

"Looks like heaven is easier to get into than Arizona State."

-- Ned Flanders

For the record, I will be applying for ASU's poltical science PhD program, so take my jokes with a grain of salt.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's curious to me how victims sometimes get held up as heroes, these poor brave souls who gallantly survived whatever and now need to be protected. Not just rape victims, any victim. Protecting someone after the fact is no protection at all.

I have no idea if the allegations against Sandusky are true or not... we'll find that out at the trial. If they are, yes, I feel sorry for the victims and applaud them for bringing the incident to the authorities. But they have to know that they are putting their necks on the line in doing such.

I agree with The Big Ragu that trials have to be public and all the evidence -- including names, dates and details --- needs to be brought to light. These are obviously very serious accusations that demand very real evidence in order for there to be a conviction.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not about making the trial any more appealing to anyone. It's making sure the defendant has the opportunity to confront his accusers in open court. It's not the entertainment business.

And, yes, I oppose secret trials, tribunals, etc. This stuff needs to be conducted in public view.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Holy shit. This guy is so fucked up, and his racism and homophobia doesn't even scratch the surface.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If they were just "assault" victims, would that change things? Once the crime crosses the (shhhhhh!) "sex" line, then all IDs should be shielded? Is that how it works?

Someone who loses $1 million in a Ponzi scheme will be identified when he sues the scammer. And I would be a hell of a lot more embarrassed about being stupid enough to lose money like that than I would to be a rape victim

BTW, while the trial is going on, they are not "rape victims." They are accusers.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You might have been off getting hitched, but a couple weeks ago when he was bemoaning the gubmint prohibitions on him voting or owning property -- and deftly dodging all questions as to the circumstances of that decision -- was one of the more interesting sidelights on the board recently.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Getting raped is at a "slightly" different level than getting robbed. If you don't understand the difference between losing money and being forced to have sex with someone, I don't know what to tell you.

I still don't think revealing the names should be illegal, but I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't wear a KKK hood or Nazi uniform, either, but I don't think it should be banned.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Funny that this would follow a post from Mark. Seems quite fiitting.

Draft saved Draft deleted