1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court *UPDATE -- Guilty on 45 of 48 counts*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court

Let's get rid of the freedom of the press while we're getting rid of amendments. Amendments are so inconvienent for the obedient.

This stuff should have been covered in a meda law class in a journalism or communications degree program.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

There will also be no tweeting or providing live updates from inside the courtroom.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And be sure to have that extra bedroom ready for members of the militia. I perfectly understand what is allowed, but it does not mean I have to agree with it.

These are rape victims. Giving scum the ability to get 10 million page views by outing them is not justice, and I highly doubt Thomas Jefferson imagined the internet when he was working on the dumb waiter.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. That's the point. You can't accuse someone of committing a crime against you and then not reveal who you are. Cross examination is one of the main points of a trial.

5. 93Devil

I have no problem with that. Its the legally reporting the names of the victims that I have a problem.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can have a problem with it ethically all you want. Legally, that's the way it is and that's the way it should be. Anonymity ultimately protects the guilty more than it protects the victim.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know what the problem is? Its not the "outing" of victims.

Its the treatment that 3rd persons give to those who have been identified.

You want to make this better? Then don't pity the victims upon identification, nor scorn them. How about giving them the utmost respect for baring their souls in the pursuit of justice? How about making them heroes for enduring the most unfortunate of plights? How about recognizing them as heroes just as those who serve in our armed forces are instantly given adulation?

Its society's problem, not the victims's problem nor the reporter's problem.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It was. Florida Star v. B. J. F. is the relevant case.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I know that case was covered in my media law courses, but sometimes I get the feeling that there are posters here who didn't take media law.

10. 93Devil

And sometimes I think there are posters here who do not have a heart, soul or have the ability to look people in the eye.

Class of 1993 Walter Cronkite School of Journalism

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

C'mon.

Seriously?

12. 93Devil

Everything in this country is tweaked and modified over time. If you think it's fine to release the names of rape victims to the public while the trial is going on, then that is one point of view.

If you think only releasing names of rape victims to the defense while the trial is ongoing, and only releasing the names of the accusers if the accused is found innocent, then you are thinking along my line of thinking. If a media organization releases names of rape and sexual abuse victims while the trial is ongoing, throw them in jail. The coverage on the Sandusky trail will not be any more appealing knowing the name of a victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted