1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandomir: Press Boxes Become an Afterthought...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jun 11, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I agree that a lot of info wouldn't get out there (and not like I'd be happy about it). I'm just trying to relate how the casual fan might take it (the hardcore fan wants every piece of info from every source).

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This may sound offensive or elitist or what have you, but it seems there's a reason that TSP isn't in this business anymore. I've read plenty of basketball stories over the past few years, gamers no less, where the access and seating location of the writer added a lot of color to the story. The yelling heard from the sidelines during a timeout, or during action no less, when the coach or player is just a few feet away, can't be reported from up high. But if it's instrumental during a game and the writer is right there for it, it helps. I've noticed it more than once over the past few seasons.

At the same time, most sports fans seem to prefer someone to write or say whatever it is they believe already, facts be damned. Same goes for politics, but we'll keep this to sports. Beat writers who say something good about a coach or front office personel are homers if the reader wants to see someone fired, or they're anti-whoever if the reader is a total homer and refuses to acknowledge mistakes. So it's pretty easy for me to fathom why readers couldn't give less of a shit about this. We're at the point where most people don't believe the news if it doesn't reflect their viewpoints already.

3. I have wondered many times why this hasn't happened many years before now. I've sat every place, high and low, far and near for all kinds of events. It's nice to sit in the prime locations of a press row at midcourt or the 50 yardline but I sincerely don't expect it when I think about all the money those same seats could be earning them. As far as I'm concerned, I still have a job to do no matter where I sit or what the circumstances are and I'm going to do the best I can because it's my name that will go on that story.

The whiney nature of this story is downright disgusting. No reporter is above it like he appears to think. We've been treated pretty nicely. Maybe its time to pay the piper. I don't blame them for moving us. I'd do the same thing if it were my team and my stadium and my seats to sell.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The reasons are low pay, shitty hours, and my own lack of passion for the biz -- not seating arrangements.

Glad you read stories where the writers make use of their positions relative to the action. I wish those writers wrote the stories I usually read.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Ever the optimist, shotglass . . . . . .

This is coming. Don't kid yourself.

6. I'd say shotglass is being a realist and you an unrealist.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Tell Sandomir no one cares. Most fans hate sportswriters. Blame the messenger is a common theme in contemporary America. Blame the media.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Really? It seems like at least once or twice a month with the local NBA team, I'll read a gamer that includes something the coach told the players during a timeout, or some back-and-forth between a coach and a referee, or a player venting his frustration on the bench or something. Good like getting that kind of depth and color from the rafters.

9. TheSportsPredictor

I wish the writers I read used their access that way.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe you don't read that because they no longer have the access.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Perhaps now, but not always.

12. Just because some don't take advantage of certain access doesn't mean that nobody will notice if we lose that access. That's like saying, "Who cares if you can't interview players anymore. They seldom give a good quote anyway."
    While the second part is true, there are plenty of times you get good quotes from players, and it would be a serve handicap to us to lose that access.

Draft saved Draft deleted