1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandomir: Press Boxes Become an Afterthought...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

To be honest, those types of seating arrangements, auxiliary and tv room, by and large, are for extraneous, or out of town, reporters. The guys who really need the good seats are the everyday beat writers and radio folks (the good ones) who need to get details, etc, because a large amount of fans, especially those in attendance who don't have access to announcers, go to them for interpretation. A writer for the NY Daily News probably deserves a good seat to the Yankees, better at least than a small paper somewhere else.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

as a sports reporter since '82, let me say whining over press box or seating locales is awful. let me watch the game, get to the locker rooms, speak to the coaches/managers.... the rest is just bells and whistles.

3. satchmo

satchmo Member

The problem isn't that reporters and newspapers are some how cut off from the action, the problem is the mindset of the owners and handlers. For years, owners, etc. begrudgingly allowed reporters the best seats in the house because they needed to coverage to help pimp their product. Now, however, there is an overabundance of coverage and the need for coverage of these teams is less and less relevant to the owners, etc. Professional sports is just a microcosm of society — if newspapers are needed, they are coddled and afforded the best of everything, if they are not, they are relegated to the corner of the building and ignored.

4. boots

boots New Member

I sympathize with the owners. Journalists take up valuable space and many along press row don't belong there. It's not uncommon to hear cheering or remarks from people supposedly there to cover an event.
    Personally, as long as I can view the game and do my job without interference from fans, I'm OK.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I highly recommend it (as I will post on the Louisville-Courier-Journal thread too).

6. boots

boots New Member

It's a pretty good read.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about baseball, but I know moving off the floor and into the upper reaches of an arena for a basketball game isn't as nice ... sure, you can still cover the game, but you miss out on all the things being said on the court. The sounds of the game can enhance any reporter's job.

As mentioned above, it should come as no surprise as the press has served its function and now is needed less, while there are opportunites for the almighty buck. Heck, in Michigan Stadium they have fan seats *in* the press box.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

glad you finally realize that, boom :)

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

The toothpaste's out of the tube on this one. It ain't ever changing back.

Thinking off the top of my head, about the only college hoops venue I'm at fairly frequently that has the traditional press row is Allen Fieldhouse at Kansas. In that old building, I don't know where the hell else they'd put us, but I imagine they're looking for places.

10. boots

boots New Member

No, he was actually lazy. He thought that his opinions mattered more than the contest.
    With the internet and other news gathering tools, no one cares why the little fella thinks.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Duke still has the old press row, but like Allen, where the hell else are you going to put them?

12. boots

boots New Member

The days of freeloading are ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted