1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandomir - NBA TV Ratings in Tank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Then what the hell are you guys doing!?!?!
    This is too funny

I volunteered for my local paper while I was at HS. BELIEVE ME, kids don't give a shit about baseball over here.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I have no doubt, absolutely no doubt in the world that if the NBA was to start a 40 and over half-court league, it would get better ratings than the NBA finals.
    I'd watch it just to see what Barkley had to say, and I don't think that is true for any other professional sport where the retired players are lightyears ahead of the current players in popularity.
    Before Bird-Magic, the NBA finals weren't even shown live. That might be the case again, and sooner rather than later.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So are there or are there not baseball teams in your hometown?

4. Chuck~Taylor

I'll tell you why you "teams that play an entertaining way can't win the title" comment is a little false. Throughout the past few years, teams have been playing "Phoenix Suns ball" more and more. Just look at what GS did. They had 6'6 guys playing center. Or how about the Detroit Pistons. Remember the brutal 68-70 games against the Pacers during the playoffs? They're far from that now. It's not the hot new thing now. You can win a lot of games playing that way during the season so bad teams are starting to play that way.

Yes, yes there are. No one ever comes to watch or anything, but there are teams. The new problem they have is that kids aren't coming out for tryouts. So it's easier to make the team. This leads to having really crappy teams. Of course, there's always those kids who've been playing all their lives. But all in all, it's pretty crappy. Kids don't really talk about the MLB either. It's pretty much all about football and basketball.

P.S. Im not from the inner city by the way. I live(well, I guess you could now say "lived") in the suburbs.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... Yeah, to play for lower-tier teams that 1 in 1,000,000 aspiring baseball players ages 6 to 18 will never be good enough to get paid to play for.

I never said they'll all make the major leagues. But getting drafted is a helluvan accomplishment for any baseball player. There's nothing disingenuous about that claim: they're good enough to play professionally. Period.

Also, I never compared it to the NBA. I'm only disputing Chuck's claim that "baseball is dying" and/or "kids aren't playing baseball." I couldn't give a rat's ass about the NBA.

6. Chuck~Taylor

50% drop in ratings since 95' Buck. There are finally some stats staring right back at you and you're still in denial?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sweet jumping Jesus on the cross...

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's ratings, not number of kids playing.

One does not relate to the other. Wanna pull some numbers, show me little league stats showing fewer kids playing from 10 years ago.

9. Yes, 50 percent drop, Chuck. You keep pointing that out. But for some reason, you seem to gloss over the fact that the World Series ratings are still 25 percent higher than the NBA ratings.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Chuck: All TV numbers are down, for all sports, for all shows, for all networks. We don't live in the days of the Big Three anymore. Even the NFL's numbers are way, way, way down from 20 years ago. That's because there are so many other options to find information -- and so many other ways to watch a game than where Nielsen and his ilk judge my viewing habits.

I don't think that lower TV ratings in this day and age -- with the advent of cable, with the advent of satellite, with the rise of the Internet, etc., etc., etc. -- says a damn thing about the popularity of the MLB or the NBA, or any other sport.

TV ratings don't mean a damn thing, except to people who believe that they do. I'm not one of them.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Well.........at least we know that baseball isn't being played in the inner cities. Right?
    I asked this question earlier but no one answered me. Do you guys honestly think kids play mor baseball than basketball?

Secondly, you're right. Ratings dosn't necessarily mean that kids don't play baseball any more........but it does show that it's dying, right?

Hold up, I thought baseball was better than ever?

12. When did I say baseball was better than ever?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.