1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandomir - NBA TV Ratings in Tank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just like his beloved NBA chip has jumped the shark.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But see, that's where the "shark" term just doesn't apply.

If the Lakers are in the Finals, you will always see double-digit ratings.

If it's Lakers vs. Heat or Bulls or Knicks . . . you're talking 12-13 rating.

If it's the Spurs, you're in the 6s.

The shark refers to the quality (of lack thereof) of the performance, not what Joe Fan perceives to be a matchup worthy of his limited attention.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

May I suggest that one problem the NBA has is that the Spurs lack an essential quality of a proper dynasty-they're not villianous enough. Red Auerbach made a point to sell tickets through obnoxiousness. Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge put a lot of WWE into their on-court demeanor for the fun of it. The Bad Boy Pistons, well, say no more. Kareem got booed until he became an elder statesman. Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson were no crowd favorites. As we have seen on this very board, Kobe ain't exactly the people's cherce.
    The Spurs are admirable, somewhat distant figures. They don't do anything to piss off the casual fan. Robert Horry's creative thuggery against Phoenix got people mad at David Stern, not the Spurs.
    Maybe next year. Stern should realize a good on-court brawl is just what his current dynasty needs as a marketing tool.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

I thought that was the case with the three other Spurs Championship teams, but this one had taken on a more villainous and hateable identity, with Bowen evolving into the league's leading cheap shot artist, Ginobli the league's leading flop artist, and Duncan becoming one of the league' leading eyes-bugged-out indignant "how dare anyone call a foul on me" whiners. But the new more-dislikeable identity didn't help ratings one bit.

5. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

The problem with the NBA, like most professional sports, is that the season is too damn long with too many games. It's hard to sustain interest in a monotonous product, from November to June, with so many other entertainment options. And by the time the NBA/NHL finals come around, it's like, who cares, it's almost friggin' summer. And the same goes for baseball; for me, it overstays its welcome. And don't even get me started on NASCAR: Its seasons seem to overlap. College athletics gets it right, and so does the NFL: relatively short and sweet.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Kids play soccer, baseball, basketball, laser tag ... And?
    At its highest level, the NBA is not sustainably entertaining for nine months. And the number of kids at major league baseball games dwarfs the numbers in NBA arenas. If/when that changes, then the NBA's base might overtake baseball's.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You wanted stats.
    You got stats.

What more do you want for god sakes?

Me: Here's some stats guys. It's right there.

You: ..................SHUT UP, BASEBALL RULES! YANKS AND SAWKS! YEEEEEAAAAAAAAH. YOU'RE SUCH A FANBOY! YEAH, JOE MORGAN!

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You are a complete fucking moron.

Go find one place where I ever said anything you've accused me of in the above post. Go ahead. I'll be here waiting.

Stats? You mean stats like this was by far the lowest-rated NBA Finals ever, and far lower than any World Series?

Stupid fucking kid. Your sport doesn't fucking matter nationwide.

The way I see it, the Mods can't nuke this because you are what you are: a stupid fucking kid. Grow the fuck up.

9. Chuck~Taylor

You said to go find some proof.
    You got proof.

I said MLB was dying:
    my proof: BTE's stats show 50% decline in MLB ratings since 95. 50!!!!

I said more kids play basketball than baseball
    my proof: SP's stats show that basketball is the most popular program for kids.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

And how far have the NBA ratings dropped since 1995, little Chuckie?

1995: 16.7 average rating for the Finals
    2007: 6.2 average rating for the Finals

I'll do the math for you: THAT'S MORE THAN 50 PERCENT.

More kids play basketball than baseball? bully for basketball. I said on the original thread that my friends and I were more likely to play basketball as kids too, because it required fewer people for a game. So that means baseball is dying?

You're getting fucking destroyed here, and you're blissfully clueless about it. I try being nice, because you don't know any better and you try hard to act smart, but goddamn.

Seriously, take a logic class. You're an embarrassment to the board.

11. Chuck~Taylor

BTE's stats show that as a total, the NBA has seen a 40% decline since 95.

And the kids argument has been made by almost everyone on here. Everyone was telling me "THE KIDS STILL LOVE PLAYIN' THE GAME. MORE KIDS PLAY BASEBALL". I showed you some stats and now you're saying ".......well I loved playing basketball too blah blah blah Yanks and Sawks"

Yeah, Im getting "fucking destroyed" on this one. ::)

P.S. I've never said the NBA hasn't declined. That's what happens when a guy like Michael Jordan leaves. What I am saying is that it's heading back to the top.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe NBA, MLB and NHL owners should follow the lead of the newspaper industry and cut back on the number of games they play during the regular season but still charge the fans and sponsors the same amount they are currently paying. I'm sure that would help improve the ratings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.