1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandomir - NBA TV Ratings in Tank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I will give Chuck this, it is easier to play a game of pickup basketball than baseball (not saying anyone said this).
    But to say more kids play basketball than baseball is asinine.
    There are so many damn baseball leagues it drives me crazy and to be honest they don't even have AAU in West Texas, but you bet your ass we have Little League, Babe Ruth and a bunch of other stupid fucking leagues.

As far as baseball dying based I think it is funny when other sports' fans claim this. There are 82 basketball games in a season and each team's arena holds, at the most, 25,000 fans.

There are 162 games in a baseball season, and each team's stadium holds, at the most, 65,000 fans.

Obviously not all games are sell outs, but I guarantee MLB draws more fans than the NBA hands down. Shit, the Yankees draw more fans than the entire NBA combined.

Based on that observation alone, I am willing to say MLB is more popular than the NBA and is definitely not dying.

TV ratings are overrated. They don't mean much anymore with so many damn channels to choose from.

Also, Chuck, one last point: I live in Texas. Hell, our paper waited past deadline to get the Spurs win in, and yet still what were we watching in the office?

The Rangers, MLS, local news and then we finally tuned into that shit they called the Finals with 3 minutes left in the game.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Indeed.

And by that time, baseball will be dead, and there will thus be worldwide sports utopia.

3. Stop screaming Chuck.

And we could say that same for you. Show us some stats.

4. Well, that was fun.

I feel like I just spent an hour arguing with my cat.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Simple way to win an argument with any cat:

1. A burlap sack
    2. 2-3 bricks
    3. A bridge over deep water

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which is why I sat that out.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the guy who told me "baseball is a dying sport" a few years ago. Of course, he's an Arena Football nut. I had to scratch my head on that one.

Then the Arena Bowl champions from 2001 lost their star quarterback and baseball went through a fan renaissance in 2003-04. That's when I nodded and said "payback's a bitch".

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If Night Gallery were still on the air, I'd submit that as an episode. Then they'd throw me in the looney bin and wonder what the hell I smoked the night before. :)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I NEVER FUCKING SAID THAT!!!! JESUS CHRIST IN HEAVEN.

You, of course, conveniently did not do as I instructed, which was to go to the first post I made on this thread, click on the quoted stuff and find what I said about how MLB can be improved. Because that would be, you know, counterproductive to your pissing-into-gale-force-winds "argument" here.

Dude, you are not just the Cavs w/o LeBron here. You are the 9-73 Philadelphia 76ers. You're getting destroyed here. You could not be any worse off if Rambo showed up to defend you. Please, for the love of all that is holy, give it up.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

NBA=dumb

11. Mmac

Mmac Guest

This is one point that definately favors Chuck here. It might be struggling at home, but the NBA's popularity abroad continues to grow at a much faster rate, especially in Asia and Europe. Of course, to capitalize on this trend, the League might eventually have to take a couple franchises out of cities like Atlanta where nobody gives a shit and relocate em to Shanghai, Rome, Madrid, or Tokyo.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But basketball still has a long, long way to go to even be half as popular as soccer or rugby in France.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.