1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandomir - NBA TV Ratings in Tank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/sports/basketball/14r

Boy the NBA has really sunk. More seasons like this and they will be on Versus in no time.

2. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Rhoden was on NPR like 3 weeks ago or so trying to defend the NBA's ratings, I think. There's audio but I didn't listen. No report on whether he repeated the "Everybody I know is watching (the playoffs)."

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh CHUCK TAYLOR, where are you? Chuck?

I waited. I saw. Your favorite sport's ratings are headed for NHL territory.

MLB owns the NBA. Learn it, live it, love it.

4. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

The only difference is hockey fans know their ratings are going to suck and they almost embrace it. It's almost like they -like- having a sport that doesn't appeal to the mainstream and has that "cult" feeling to it. NBA fans want to think that everyone worships the ground basketball players walk on, and when they discover it's not true then they pout about it. I know this is a bit of a generalization, but it's been what I've noticed.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I know I'm praying for a sweep along with ABC.

6. Boom_70

For some watching hockey now has become a style statment like drinking Pabst or wearing a trucker hat.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ashton Kutcher likes hockey?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The NBA does have a loyal following and audience. It's just that ESPN needs to realize that not as many people care about the NBA as they think. ESPN is hammering these NBA Finals as if Jordan and Kareem are going up against each other and it's the good old days once again.

Lebron will be a huge star. He already is in Cleveland and in many other areas. But Jesus, NBA, don't be in such a hurry to appoint him the next Jordan without seeing how he does first in a final. Even Michael Jordan needed several years to hold that trophy for the first time.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I watch hockey because I love the sport. I couldn't care less that it gets low ratings or what anybody else things about it. I generally don't watch the NBA because it bores me. The only part of the game that excites me is the finish of close games. Even then, the flow is ruined by the constant time outs.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I was trying to find the current viewer numbers, and found this instead....from 1999. What would the NBA give now for a 12 share...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980CE0DC153AF936A15755C0A96F958260

11. Boom_70

The NBA would be thrilld with a 12 now. Sandomir is the grim reaper of the NBA. Things are caving in.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Short term, the NBA really needed to have Phoenix in these finals.

Long term, they need to see some powers grow in the Eastern Conference. ANd at least one of those needs to be Boston, New York or Philly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.