1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Marcos, Tx. full-time sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SM Radone, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

was offered a news editor job there in 2001 but was iffy on moving and the managing editor was leaving the business so that little unknown titled the decision pendulum against taking the job. the guadalupe river was a definite draw and, at least back then, the paper looked pretty nice.

also the only time i've been put up in a haunted hotel when on a job interview. can't remember the name of the place but it was an historic hotel and the kind hens would love for a romantic weekend getaway.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That must be the Faust. And you ain't Texan till you've tubed the Guadalupe. :)

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

funny that a guy posted this opening saying he "saw it on the TDNA website" and then later admits he's the sports editor of the paper ;D

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Surprised he hasn't gotten more flak for that, too.

Kind of like Justin Blanchard and the Aztecks.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

He didn't lie. It was, in fact, posted on the site.
    He stepped up and answered questions. Let's not give him flack for not wanting to come right out and say it immediately.

6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

it was more light-hearted teasing than anything. it does take a certain level of respectable courage to out yourself and discuss your own shop on here

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Any news??? Anyone gotten a call or any news in the pipline regarding this gig??

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The men's hoops coach, Doug Davalos, is one to watch. He took a perpetually shitty program at Sul Ross State and got them to the DIII Sweet Sixteen. He inherited a mess in San Marcos...this is his second year and it should be interesting to see how well the team does. I don't know whether his genius is in recruiting or Xs and Os, or both, but I think he'll make the national stage at some point. And yes, he's the son of former UNM AD Rudy Davalos.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember Rudy when he and Frank Fallon would do the SWC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons on NBC in the late 70s/early 80s.

10. Riding Phat

Riding Phat Member

Would the positives out-weigh the negatives to make this a good position change? Does anyone know if there has been a chance for improvement to other papers from this beat?

11. SM Radone

SM Radone New Member

I just wanted to update all on our position.
    I offered the job to someone last week, but unfortunately, unforseen medical problems forced him to stay at his current location. So I am still taking applications.
    As far as people moving on from this position, my former assistant moved on to work at Charlottesville, Va. and previous Daily Record alums that have worked with me have gone on to work for the Dallas Morning News and the United States Olympic cycling team.
    It's a fun place to live and a great place to gain experience covering a Divison I university.
    Thanks, and best of luck to all that are looking.

Randy Stevens
    Sports Editor
    San Marcos Daily Record

12. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Having worked at the Daily Record and living in San Marcos (while attending Southwest Texas State...sorry, can't bring myself to call it Texas State), I can attest that is a great job to grab if you're looking to move your way up. If you're young and single, it's even better. When I was there, the ratio of women to men was 5:1. I think it's increased in the 11 years since I left there. You're smack between Austin and San Antonio and not too far from roadies to Dallas or Houston.

As for the job itself, you could have a chance to cover a team that could deep into the FCS playoffs next season, as the Bobcats will have 15 starters back from a team that is finishing the season strong. The Southland Conference is one of the better D-1AA conferences in the nation, so the quality of play is going to be excellent.

Did I mention 5 women (and I mean very hot women) to 1 guy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.