1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Marcos, Tx. full-time sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SM Radone, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SM Radone

SM Radone New Member

Saw this on the TDNA.org site:

The San Marcos Daily Record, a five-day a week publication in San Marcos, Texas, is seeking a full-time sports writer. The job entails covering a NCAA Division I university (lead beat writer for Texas State) as well as helping cover area prep sports that includes seven schools in the subscriber base and more than 20 schools in the area (also known as The Corridor).
    Other sources for stories include golf, stock-car racing, kayaking and
    canoeing, youth sports in the summer, water sports (wakeboarding, water skiing), drag racing, professional boxing and other stories as they arise.
    The job also entails some desk work (editing and lay-out) as well as some photography. The ideal candidate needs at least two years experience at a daily or weekly paper, needs to be self-motivated and willing to go the extra yard for stories behind the scores. Must work well on deadlines as well.
    The position is full-time (40 hours a week) with health, dental and vision benefits, 401 K and paid vacation.
    Send resume and cover letter to Randy Stevens, Sports Editor at
    rstevens@sanmarcosrecord.com, or fax at (512) 392-1514.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This job sounded cool until seeing what the other sports are to cover. If it was high school and Texas State, that would be awesome, but youth sports, water sports and kayaking and canoeing? Lame.

The area is awesome though.

I wonder what they pay, cause it will need to be a decent amount for that area.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hope they have a large web presence, too. All that high school copy will lie in the can for 2 days if they don't.

Great area, though. Texas State is a solid I-AA program (I ain't switching, dangit!), though you wouldn't know it by that 63-21 drubbing Central Arkansas put on them last night. And the preps in the area are very good.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So the part about needing two years of experience to work at a 5K, five-day CNHI paper didn't put you off?

5. SM Radone

SM Radone New Member

A few points to clarify about our sports writer position:
    The main priority is Texas State and prep sports during the school season, with the "other" sports receiving attention in the down months. This includes the Texas Water Safari, the world's longest and toughest boat race, a NASCAR Grand National and USAC sprint races, rodeo, National Wakeboarding events at Texas Ski Ranch, the IHRA Texas Nationals as well as other events as they present themselves.
    There's also the opportunity to cover NBA games in San Antonio, as well as minor league sports in Austin and San Antonio.
    Another great selling point is that the Daily Record is a P.M. paper, meaning you can actually work at a daily paper and maintain a social life.
    Yes, this is a CNHI paper, but there is a new publisher who is shaking things up and getting things back up to speed. For example, we just received new computers. And like any small paper, don't expect to get rich, but the pay is better than similar postions in neighboring papers and is sufficient for a single person to live comfortably in area.
    And since this is the middle of the football season, the job will be filled as quickly as possible, so if interested, the sooner you send your resume the better.
    Hope this clarifies a few things.

Randy Stevens
    Sports Editor
    San Marcos Daily Record

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Randy, good post. You spell it out nicely. CNHI will still scare some people off. Good luck in your search.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

If it means anything, Randy is a good guy and you can do a lot worse, both in people to work with and places to live. I've always kind of felt this paper should have a bigger presence, but stuck between San Antonio and Austin, it does tend to suffer.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Pleasant town, but ... this, like Kerrville and New Braunfels, is not a memorable product. The suburbs between and around San Antonio and Austin are so self-contained that the papers read like shoppers more than their population bases would indicate.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Randy, too bad I already work for a CNHI shop, so I know better. Sounds like a solid position. Best of luck with your search.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've always thought of the herald-zeitung as a quality small paper.

11. New Braunfels? Only the home of the fucking best waterpark, um, ever. Schlitterbahn. That alone would have me firing off resumes and cover letters in seconds...

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Not to mention Gruene Hall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.