1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Jose update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 19, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Former ME in San Bernardino. Glad someone is landing on his feet. Hopefully, there will be others.

2. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

The number of assistant managing editors/DMEs is indeed staggering.
    They definitely took care of themselves and their salaries of $135,000 and up.

3. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Private message from my San Jose buddy tells me that one AME, who is under 30, makes under 100K. If that makes anyone feel better. He is AME for sports and copy desks.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wow.

I went to school with Kim Boatman a quarter-century ago.

She had been in San Jose as long as I have been at my place.

5. MileHigh

Considering how much it costs to live there, it's really not that surprising.

6. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

That is true. But as someone here already pointed out, if you go from 400 people to 200 over the last few years, you might be able to get by with fewer big cheeses.

7. MileHigh

I certainly would agree with that.
    They went from Knight Ridder to MediaNews. That is beyond culture shock, as they are finding out.

8. Our industry is dying.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the departed, Dan Reed, gained fame for saving former Oak Trib editor Dave Burgin's life with the Heimlich maneuver about 15 years ago. A truly great guy, my best to Dan.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll post some more info as I get it - apparently the sports staff met last night to talk about how they'll put out a paper with a paper-thin desk staff.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, did the sports copy desk insult Dean Singleton's wife or something? They've assured themselves a raft of corrections.

12. VJ

VJ Member

They're outsourcing it to Indianapolis. Wait, wrong company.

Draft saved Draft deleted