1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Jose editor moving to Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, May 20, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

From Romenesko:

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:35 PM
    To: & EDIT ALL
    Subject: FW: kevin wendt announcement

Folks:

We're saddened to announce that Kevin Wendt is leaving the Mercury News to become editor of the Huntsville Times, in Huntsville, Ala.

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13346

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Kevin Wendt went.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn. Can't this person move to Atlanta or Florida with the rest of the Yankees? :-\

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

What are the odds 10 years ago that a Merc editor would take an editing job at a 50k paper in Alabama?

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Huntsville is more like a 90K, I believe.

rb

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's a fact, Jack! [/stripes]

Should we congratulate Mr. Wendt on his prison break?

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

It might have a good Web presence, but print circulation is pretty small:

TIMES, HUNTSVILLE (MADISON CO.) SUN DLY 71,786
    TIMES, HUNTSVILLE (MADISON CO.) SAT M DLY 50,981
    TIMES, HUNTSVILLE (MADISON CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 53,194

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He's not the editor in San Jose. He's an AME. And he's taking the No. 1 job in Huntsville. Doesn't seem THAT much out of the realm of things, especially how things are going in Northern California.

Here's the Merc job opening.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=927046

9. sportsed

sportsed Member

The Huntsville Times is a good paper, and Wendt will make it better. But he's only 30 years old, so this is likely just the next in a series of bigger and better jobs to come for him.

10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

He must have been a hell of a reporter and editor to move up that quickly. Was he a sports editor, too??

11. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

He was a designer and I believe the sports editor reported to him when he was AME. The Merc used to be one of the best places for designers to work. If you were a designer and wanted to get into editing/supervising that was a great place to be.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

SAM: What's new, Normie? NORM: Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer.

SAM: What'd you like, Normie? NORM: A reason to live. Give me another beer.

SAM: What'll you have Normie? NORM: Well, I'm in a gambling mood, Sammy. I'll take a glass of whatever comes out of that tap. SAM: Looks like beer, Norm. NORM: Call me Mister Lucky.

WOODY: What's the story, Mr. Peterson? NORM: The Bobbsey twins go to the brewery. Let's cut to the happy ending.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you. NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

WOODY: How's it going, Mr. Peterson? NORM: Poor. WOODY: I'm sorry to hear that. NORM: No, I mean pour.

WOODY: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson? NORM: All right, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.

WOODY: What's going on, Mr. Peterson? NORM: The question is what's going in Mr. Peterson? A beer please, Woody.

WOODY: How would a beer feel, Mr. Peterson? NORM: Pretty nervous if I was in the room.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, what's up? NORM: The warranty on my liver.

SAM: What do you say, Norm? NORM: Any cheap, tawdry thing that'll get me a beer.

COACH: What would you say to a beer, Normie? NORM: Daddy wuvs you.

SAM: What do you know there, Norm? NORM: How to sit. How to drink. Want to quiz me?

COACH: Can I draw you a beer, Norm? NORM: No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one.

CLIFF: Hey, Norm, What's up? NORM: My blood-alcohol level.

Draft saved Draft deleted