1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Jose editor moving to Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, May 20, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

From Romenesko:

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:35 PM
    To: & EDIT ALL
    Subject: FW: kevin wendt announcement

We're saddened to announce that Kevin Wendt is leaving the Mercury News to become editor of the Huntsville Times, in Huntsville, Ala.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Kevin Wendt went.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn. Can't this person move to Atlanta or Florida with the rest of the Yankees? :-\
  4. Editude

Editude Active Member

What are the odds 10 years ago that a Merc editor would take an editing job at a 50k paper in Alabama?
  5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Huntsville is more like a 90K, I believe.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

That's a fact, Jack! [/stripes]

Should we congratulate Mr. Wendt on his prison break?
  7. Editude

Editude Active Member

It might have a good Web presence, but print circulation is pretty small:

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He's not the editor in San Jose. He's an AME. And he's taking the No. 1 job in Huntsville. Doesn't seem THAT much out of the realm of things, especially how things are going in Northern California.

Here's the Merc job opening.

9. sportsed

sportsed Member

The Huntsville Times is a good paper, and Wendt will make it better. But he's only 30 years old, so this is likely just the next in a series of bigger and better jobs to come for him.
  10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

He must have been a hell of a reporter and editor to move up that quickly. Was he a sports editor, too??
  11. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

He was a designer and I believe the sports editor reported to him when he was AME. The Merc used to be one of the best places for designers to work. If you were a designer and wanted to get into editing/supervising that was a great place to be.
  12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

SAM: What's new, Normie? NORM: Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer.

SAM: What'd you like, Normie? NORM: A reason to live. Give me another beer.

SAM: What'll you have Normie? NORM: Well, I'm in a gambling mood, Sammy. I'll take a glass of whatever comes out of that tap. SAM: Looks like beer, Norm. NORM: Call me Mister Lucky.

WOODY: What's the story, Mr. Peterson? NORM: The Bobbsey twins go to the brewery. Let's cut to the happy ending.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you. NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

WOODY: How's it going, Mr. Peterson? NORM: Poor. WOODY: I'm sorry to hear that. NORM: No, I mean pour.

WOODY: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson? NORM: All right, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.

WOODY: What's going on, Mr. Peterson? NORM: The question is what's going in Mr. Peterson? A beer please, Woody.

WOODY: How would a beer feel, Mr. Peterson? NORM: Pretty nervous if I was in the room.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, what's up? NORM: The warranty on my liver.

SAM: What do you say, Norm? NORM: Any cheap, tawdry thing that'll get me a beer.

COACH: What would you say to a beer, Normie? NORM: Daddy wuvs you.

SAM: What do you know there, Norm? NORM: How to sit. How to drink. Want to quiz me?

COACH: Can I draw you a beer, Norm? NORM: No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one.

CLIFF: Hey, Norm, What's up? NORM: My blood-alcohol level.
Draft saved Draft deleted