1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Jose cutting, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Oct 20, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Seriously, it's getting to the point where I'm going to stop being one of the people who posts these, because it's nearing surreal status, but we pass along information here, and this is information, so here it is:

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

101 employees? No buyouts first?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The memo says nothing about buyouts, although I imagine they'll be some severance -- but this isn't a voluntary "do you want to take a buyout?" kind of thing, it doesn't sound like.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

At the sister paper, Contra Costa, they whacked from the top today:

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=11926

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Great areas of the country made less great by what is happening to their newspapers. Tough breaks for all involved.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

More proof that basically the news business (see NBC as well) CANNOT operate as large, publicly traded corporations. Creating the very product requires different priorities than the burn-it-to-the-ground-for-the-3rd-quarter attitude of Wall Street. I mean, really, as a citizen, if my newsgathering organizations have no higher priority than profit, what exactly is the basis of their constitutional special privileges?

Draft saved Draft deleted