1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 3, 2007.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a Bay Area resident, here are my comments:

1. Alcatraz is very cool these days, redone in the last year too; beautiful to see the bay on the ride out;

2. Go to Lands End, the National Park that's on the westernmost point, an amazing hike that lets you view the Pacific Ocean and the Golden Gate Bridge;

3. Golden Gate Bridge is amazing thinking that the vast Pacific is out there on the other side; walk it.

4. Chinatown is neat, not for the cheesy 5 and dime stores, walk the alley ways where you can see the little shops.

5. Giants Park is amazing. Go to Craigslist and see if you can score tickets in the right field arcade. Awesome spot to watch the game then see the Bay behind you.

Skip Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39.

Remember, its never too hot to dress warmly in SF; bring winter wear just in case. Enjoy.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Mount Tamalpais is worth a side trip. On a clear day you have great views of Marin County below, San Fran in the distance, and the Pacific Ocean to your right.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Wharf, Golden Gate, Alcatraz and Chinatown. Probably won't be able to see much in two days.
    I lived in California for seven years and always felt there was more to see in San Fran than LA or San Diego. You'll have a fun two days. Good food everywhere.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Muir's Beach in Marin. Sam's Grill, where Sam Spade ate in Maltese Falcon. JR is right, City Lights is a must do.
    Hit the Presidio. You can climb down the rocks and sit UNDER the Golden Gate Bridge.
    They say the new market in the old terminal building is amazing. Past my time.
    Do what the tourists never do and go all the way out to the Pacific side of the city. Talk about a whole different world.

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I'm not a big sushi guy but my wife sampled the local flavor three nights we were there. I had some great salmon but she swears you can't go wrong with that.

I wish I could remember what the name of the Italian restaurant in the Castro district that we ate at was, it was fabulous. My fave was crab sandwhich at the wharf.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The drive either (a) sucks or (b) takes forever. Fly to San Fran.

The quickest drive is along I-5 and is really dull. You could go along the coast but it takes forever. There are some beautiful views along the way, but if it were me I'd much rather have that time in the city.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If you have kids, you have to go to the Exploritorium. Best 10 bucks you'll ever spend.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

Draft saved Draft deleted