1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 3, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unlike Chuck Barkley, you could try Sausolito.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Hit the Buena Vista and get an Irish Coffee at the place where the drink was invented. It's not far from Fisherman's Wharf.

And speaking of Fisherman's Wharf, hit Scoma's, just past Pier 39. It's not cheap, but the cioppino and seafood there is off the charts.

There are some cool clubs in the Triangle district.

Any way you slice it, you're in for a good time. SF is a great city.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I asked this on the West Coast Help thread but I think it's losing steam:

Is the drive from Portland to San Francisco worth it or I am better off to fly right into SF and drive from there to LA and on to SD?

If I cut the drive from Portland to SF out, I have more time in the cities.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know... you could save time and start a thread from every city you pass through.... that way, people will know exactly where to offer help... ;D

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Make sure you book for a tour, though. When I hit San Francisco in 1999, I just assumed you could go there and get in. Doesn't work that way. Make plans in advance.

In less than 24 hours, I hit Fisherman's Wharf for seafood and the view, street cars, Lombard Street and the Golden Gate Bridge. Didn't have time to drive or walk the Golden Gate, though, which was my one regret aside form Alcatraz.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm done after this thread. I know what I'm doing (I hope) in LA and SD.

And I know, I'm a pain in the ass. Don't worry, the trip is next month. I'll be done pestering by the end of the week, everything will be booked by then.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The Aquarium of the Bay is definitely worth a visit. Hope you don't have to get to Oakland during your stay.

8. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

The drive from Portland to SF is not worth it at all. Fly into SF and have some extra time to take in the city. Then take the 101 down to LA so you can take in the beautiful California coast. Trust me, I am from the SF bay are originally but I have been living in LA the last several years. The 101 takes longer to get down to LA than the 5, but taking the 5 from the bay area to LA is probably the second most boring drive in the country, next to the drive from LA to vegas.

9. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'm shocked nobody mentioned Twin Peaks. If you don't go up there, you're wasting your time in The City.

Day view: http://www.jerrygerber.com/photography/San-Francisco-from-Twin-Peaks.jpg
    Night view: http://www.dreamworld.org/alfredo/ppod/pics/SanFranciscoTwinPeaksTwilight.jpg

In all my trips to The Bay, I can't believe my parents never took me up there. I finally stumbled upon it with some friends last weekend, and although it probably looked extra spectacular at night and in my state of mind, I'm sure you can tell from the pictures it really is amazing.

It's also somewhat close to the Castro District if I remember correctly. If you've never seen hundreds of gay men skipping down the street, holding hands and kissing along a one mile-long stretch, you should probably at least drive by once. You turn left off Mission (or Market, I get them confused), and suddenly every sign is neon pink and purple. It's like a whole different city within San Francisco.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Truth of it is, glean all of the above information and do your own thing.

That's what San Francisco is all about.

My first trip to Cali was an NFL road trip in 1985 for the Saints vs. Niners.

Absolutely incredible.

Amazing Asian cuisine. Seafood is excellent. Alcatraz rocks. Golden Gate Park, the Haight, you name it.

Have a blast, dude.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe have a little party for Doc. His birthday is Oct. 27.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Alcatraz: underwhelming.
    Golden Gate Bridge walk: always windy.
    Chinatown: too cool.
    SBC: great views of the Bay Bridge, great park.
    Food: good almost anywhere.
    Hills: hope you're in decent shape.
    Weather: take a good jacket, even in July.

Draft saved Draft deleted