1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 3, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

You have a couple days to spend in San Fran; what do you do? What are some must-see, must-do things in San Fran?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Lombard Street. Fisherman's Wharf. Alcatraz.

3. chubster

chubster Member

Chinatown ... Golden Mountain has great dim sum. But they only stay open till 3 p.m.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Start walking and work your way all around the city. Grab lunch near the wharf and then keep walking around. Rest for a while at Golden Gate Park. Chinatown is interesting if you live somewhere without one.

It's one of my favorite cities in the world and though the hills can be a bitch, I never get tired of walking and exploring the place.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

You've got me! OOOOOW! OOOOOW!

[​IMG]

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge on a beautiful, not-terribly-windy day.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Great town.
    Hit Foley's on O'Farrell for a pint.
    Do a walking/drinking tour of North Beach.
    I'd skip Fisherman's Wharf in favor of the Haight, and the Castro's cool too.
    I don't really know the Mission area.
    The Tenderloin gets a bad rap. There are a few cool places there.
    And check out SBC/AT&T or wahtever they're calling it now.

8. The folks went on one of those whale-watching boat tours when they were there last year. I wouldn't describe that as "can't-miss" though.

Dad spoke highly of Chinatown

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I went a bunch of years ago with my family. Definitely see Alcatraz, there is so much history in that place. Fisherman's Wharf is great, and there's a homeless guy who scares people there, worth seeing the reactions of the people. Go to Chinatown. Lomard Street.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Alcatraz is a must. I thought Fisherman's Wharf was very cool as well. We went to the American Culinary Institute (I'm pretty sure that was the name) for their weekend buffet and the food was freaking amazing. Students make it and serve it themselves. Was about $25 and worth every penny. It was so good we went back the following weekend right before the flight home. Haight/Ashbury was cool, too. Go to a book store and get a San Francisco tour book. It'll be worth the money. Place called Tommy's Joynt is a must for lunch. Great corned beef. And before renting a car, remember parking in that town is a nightmare. P.S. If you go to Alcatraz, book it a couple days in advance. We had to wait a couple days for tickets because demand was so high when I went.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Drive to Monterey and see Mack and the boys in their flophouse.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Alcatraz: An absolute must. Coit Tower hasn't been mentioned yet; very underrated and tremendous views even in the fog.

Draft saved Draft deleted