1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Re: San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashe

Good for the Chronicle. I wouldn't cover that garbage either.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You ever know one of those guys who constantly told you how "fucking great" some joint's pizza was, and when you got there, you realized the guy's definition of "fucking great" pizza was a big, dry hunk of dough with imitation cheese draped all over it?

MMA.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good for you, but it's not abnout what YOU would cover. Like it or not, this has become a big sport, would they not cover a boxing match in their back yard that sells out the building?

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Dana White is a blowhard idiot and his "sport" is a joke. Two guys sitting on each other taking turns whacking at someone's head. Exciting stuff. I don't let that personal bias get in the way of covering it in a minor fashion because it does have a fan base, albeit a bunch of uneducated 20-somethings who would think the local bar fight should make the sports page, too.

By the way, every single MMA athlete I've interviewed comes of as being as smart as a pile of bricks. Yes, every single one.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Complete cliched bullshit. I'm not a big fan at all. Couldn't tell you the ins and outs of the sport but the last PPV I went to see at a buddy's house, there wasn't one person who made less than 60 grand a year and several that made 6 figures, including a Doctor. Age's ranged from 30 to 55. No uneducated 20 somethings to be seen.

Let me add, I agree that there are a ton of uneducated 20 something douchebags with tapout shirts that follow this but they are far from the only ones.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashe

If you cover UFC, are you required to wear a TapOut or Affliction tee shirt?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

MMA is a sport in the same way figure skating is: watched as an attraction, but with a very small percentage of people who follow it beyond whatever big event is on.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

And I'd be willing to wager that a major newspaper declining to cover a major figure skating event in their circulation area would not be acceptable.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I never said anything about ballroom dancing.

Look, if you want to try to ban MMA and boxing, be my guest. I will disagree with you, but I will respect your opinion.

But to try to ban MMA a sport that is tons less dangerous than boxing, without trying to ban boxing is biased and idiotic.

10. HandsomeHarley

This may be the single most stupid thing I've ever read on this site.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Who called for an MMA ban?

12. HandsomeHarley

That bumbling fucking moron John McCain.

Draft saved Draft deleted